Cycling these days .... rise of the clones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cycling is growing - Hooray!
It's almost the new Golf, people spending all day in silly clothing.

Now on a Sunday morning there are cyclewaynekers everywhere, like marauding groups of 2 wheeled Piranhas moving en-masse. But here's the thing, they're all identikit, clones, like they have all fallen out of the same pattern book ... and they're so terribly earnest.

3 things have brought me to this point:

The other morning I arrived earlier than usual for the Freewheeling run to see Abingdon's other club depart for their Sunday constitutional. In some ways it was heartening to see 20 plus cyclists but saddening to see every one in pristine matching club kit, obligatory helmet, 'cycling shades' and latest big brand plastic bikes. Several of them waved at me from across the street and I had no idea who they were, each one a pea in a pod, each identical.

The TdF is much the same, it's impossible apart from the numbers or a facial close-up to figure out who is who, you only see their mouths and chins, they could be anyone out there.

My BIL has recently started cycling for fun and fitness, in Surrey on a hybrid and the one thing that puts him of cycling is being identified with the earnest pseudo-racer, lycra-clad Strava chasing MAMILs, and I'm starting to see his point. Mrs FF has a similar view.

Now, I'm speaking from a point of hypocrisy here, as to the layman I probably confer to the stereotype except for no helmet, plastic bike or designer shades, but somehow I don't feel I belong to the modern Sportive/Pro-emulating herd for whom cycling is about stats and the latest gizmo.
No, I guess my heart lies more with the everyday commuting and shopping cyclist, those that frequent the CTC, the Audax fraternity, our Freewheeling group and the diverse bunch that are The Fridays. People that have grown-up with cycling in their blood, for whom cycling is so much more than burning-up the local club-run, the latest gear and associated bragging rights.

I may not have managed to express my thoughts clearly, but the upshot is that I'm increasingly finding that the rise of the clone-cyclists not only puts other people off, it's starting to work on me .....

Brandane

Legendary Member
Very well put. The sooner a certain type of cyclist gets bored with it and fecks off back to the golf course, the better.

screenman

Legendary Member
Miserable buggers.

I was wearing club kit 28 years ago when I started cycling properly at 16.

Sounds like a bit of inverse snobbery ?

They are cycling, they are enjoying themselves.

My kit is always pristine, but you'll find me on old steel bikes.

PS you are all obviously going to the wrong clubs if you feel like that.

Or they are the wrong people to join clubs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As long as it is people on bikes and not in cars I have no problem what they look like, funnily enough of all the people I know who have taken up cycling over the last 5 odd years I do not know of one who played golf.

I wore club kit as did most of my club in 1971 when I first joined.

I know a couple in my club that played golf, we take the Micky out of them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Miserable buggers.

I was wearing club kit 28 years ago when I started cycling properly at 16.

Sounds like a bit of inverse snobbery ?

They are cycling, they are enjoying themselves.

My kit is always pristine, but you'll find me on old steel bikes.

PS you are all obviously going to the wrong clubs if you feel like that.
I don't think you are one of the clones to whom the OP is directed then. AFAIC it is all to do with attitude rather than appearances. Unfortunately a lot of them have the attitude that you have to look like a clone!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah but we would be better having a go at the MAMIL with all the kit and no idea ? Thing is, they are keeping the business of cycling going. I don't buy enough kit to keep any bike shop going as I've got a full stable.

These lot are keeping the industry going. It was on it's knees 15 years ago.

snorri

Legendary Member
Everyone to his/her own of course, but when I see cyclists dressed in all the gear I do get that slightly uneasy feeling one gets when guisers appear on your doorstep and I'm uncertain as to who they are, friend or stranger!
At least I recognise at a glance all of the local cyclists who dress in civvies:smile:.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We are seeing a rise in the numbers of cyclists in this area. You can tell the differance between out of towners and locals, by the way they dress. However I have spoken to some of the outsiders and have to say they are very nice people and are always a pleasure to talk to, and I have never been ignored by them even while they fly past me.

The locals on the other hand often ride around on old mtb, wearing shorts, or jeans, tee shirt, and sunglasses, no helmets, and don't give a dam. But, does it matter what people
Wear or look like, as long as they are getting out and about and exercising.

If they are discriminating against people who are older and who don't dress the same as them, then yes that is wrong, and if they are like that then to hell with them. I'd find another club, or not bother at all with a club. But each to his or her own. I have no doubt that some wouldn't even consider me to be a cyclist, because I don't cycle every day but I don't care what anyone else thinks, and neither should anyone else. If being a member of a club like that suits you, then go for it, just as long as they dont try to ram they're opinion down my throat, I don't care what they wear.

tyred

Legendary Member
Modern cycling is all about presenting the right image
photo26_1.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
Oh dear it could be a nightmare this – no-one believes that they are a clone, but how do you know?
You’ve been riding for years, and gradually adopted the modern uniform of lycra, you enjoy meeting other like-minded folk and riding together, and you are happy to see so many other cyclists coming out of the woodwork, then someone else in lycra points at you and shouts ‘Clone!’.

Should I dump the lycra and cleats and go back to the tracksuit bottoms and trainers that served me for so long? Should I ride a bit slower? Maybe a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed would do the trick? At least I keep a luggage rack on my road bike so that should offer me a little protection, and I have so far resisted cycling glasses and still get flies in my eyes. I’ll never please everyone.

Top Bottom