How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, I may well be a couple of iterations behind the curve here, but just how do we 'buy' music to keep/own these days?

I'm not about to subscribe to a streaming service, I want the files in my possession to load to devices that I can play whenever and wherever I want without relying on an internet connection. In the past I have embraced Mp3 and still have my music library in this format but with the hard file back-up being that I buy and store the CD version of any album I want to own as this is the ever-lasting, almost uncorruptible master copy from which the data copies can be ripped should a total data meltdown ever occur!

Just looking at buying a copy of the Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon album as it is 50 years old this year, as it happens so am I. :cry:

I was looking at CD versions when my clever 17yr old son pointed out that we don't even have a functioning CD reader at the moment as the desktop PC we did use has now been decommissioned.

So just what is the best, VFM method of legally downloading music to own (legal being quite important as I believe the artists and businesses that support/promote them deserve their slice for providing the music)?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Can't keep up with that bollocks. Buy a CD rip it and put it on me phone. Job jobbed.

DRM

Guru
I’m not sure you can, could be wrong though, but we have a subscription to Apple Music that allows you to download to a device, however you can’t transfer it to a USB stick for example, I find it brilliant on long journeys, which is usually everyday, pick something, connect my phone to the vans radio and listen to whatever you’ve selected, I think what you’re wanting to do is a bit complicated imho

Brandane

Legendary Member
I know you don't want to subscribe to a streaming service, but why not? I pay Spotify £9.99 per month for their premium service. So for the price of 1 CD per month I have access to any music I can think of. And once found, I can download it to my phone/laptop if I want to have access to it when no internet connection is available.
I no longer have any actual physical CD's other than a few rattling around in my car. But I have access to every album I ever bought in my life through Spotify. Which incidentally includes several copies of DSOTM - on vinyl, cassette, and CD.. They are arranged in "my library" for convenience; I haven't downloaded any yet, but they are there if I want to.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
actual physical CD's other than a few rattling around in my car.

I don't have a CD player.

Top Bottom