How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Up to about two years ago I used to buy CDs, then I got a new company car and said, 'WTF,' as I looked at the dash and couldn't see a CD player.

For a while I've used Prime but not so much lately after they've messed around with it in a thinly veiled attempt to force people to pay for unlimited.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Up to about two years ago I used to buy CDs, then I got a new company car and said, 'WTF,' as I looked at the dash and couldn't see a CD player.

For a while I've used Prime but not so much lately after they've messed around with it in a thinly veiled attempt to force people to pay for unlimited.

Haha. I fitted my landrover with a mechless MP3/DAB head unit because CDs rattling around a badly designed cab when bouncing around off-road is rubbish (if the cd player can even cope with the bangs/jolts/angles). Music library is stored on a tiny thumbnail USB stick which can hold about 64GB.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Stream it grandads... FFS, you aren't getting Goldie Looking Chain without ...

I've got all their albums...on CD.

tyred

Legendary Member
For an album that has sold as widely as that, you should be able to find a copy in a charity or second-hand shop for peanuts.

It's strange but I was an early advocate of MP3s and yet I have recently started buying physical copies again. I've bought quite a few at gigs of not so well known acts I've been too in the past year or so as I am happy to support the acts as they probably need the money; unlike the famous acts. I also like to browse in second hand shops to see what turns up. Vinyl has gone crazy but CDs are never expensive.

I like to have the actual album as I like to sit down to listen to it and peruse the sleeve-notes and study it and have decided I like having that. I know most probably don't care.

I bought a very good Panasonic stereo second-hand very cheaply and I'm really impressed with the sound for such a compact system. I have wired my turntable through it as well.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For me it's a mixture of CDs (new or used from Amazon, Ebay, Music Magpie, etc) and then rip them to MP3, or purchase and download digital files from Amazon (as above) or directly from the artist's page on Bandcamp (https://bandcamp.com/). The latter is usually more expensive as the price shown doesn't include VAT and some may incurr foreign currency conversion fees by your bank, but more of the money goes direct to the artist.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know you don't want to subscribe to a streaming service, but why not? I pay Spotify £9.99 per month for their premium service. So for the price of 1 CD per month I have access to any music I can think of. And once found, I can download it to my phone/laptop if I want to have access to it when no internet connection is available.
I no longer have any actual physical CD's other than a few rattling around in my car. But I have access to every album I ever bought in my life through Spotify. Which incidentally includes several copies of DSOTM - on vinyl, cassette, and CD.. They are arranged in "my library" for convenience; I haven't downloaded any yet, but they are there if I want to.

Pretty much the same here.

Spotify Premium does it for us. We stream tons of tracks for a tenner a month using the main house system, a sub-system (bedroom), a tablet and two phones that hook up automatically to the car via Android Auto.

No physical CD's or Vinyl in the house and we gave up ripping to FLAC's years ago.

When we moved away from CD's to streaming our listening repertoire expanded massively - approx' last 4 years of Spotify listening:

Screenshot_20230315_231437.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
I taped all my vinyl on to the pc and that is all the music I will ever want, nothing that has been released since has any attraction for me.

I have an iPod connection in the older car and the newer car has a hard drive which you transfer music to vis a usb stick.

Paying a monthly subscription to listen to music is as abhorrent to me as paying for Strava is to some other members of this community.

Top Bottom