How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
forget all that digital faff, my 30 year old copy is crackly but great.
View attachment 681833

Did you see that in a museum? :whistle:

Did you see that in a museum? :whistle:

There's a lot of Floyd in the Fondo vinyl museum :laugh:
1678923029699.png

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Dark side of the moon, £8.99 for the CD with 'free' MP3 rip download. Looks like we have a winner and now in my Amazon basket waiting for another £11.01 of expenditure to get free P&P (wonder what other albums I might want to splurge on?)

presta

Guru
All my music is on vinyl and cassette, I've never bought any CDs other than for my mum. Since I stopped buying music 30 odd years ago, I've just listened to the radio, and over the last 10 years or so if I want to listen to my own choice I use You Tube.

There's some merit in having a DJ choose for you though, you don't get stuck in listening to the same stuff all the time. I've only ever bought one Hi FI system (in 1984), prior to that I had an assortment of home made stuff.

I still have my father's old 78s, although I've not played any of them in 50 odd years. This is one that used to amuse me as a kid.

Jody

Stubborn git
Someone will be along shortly to mention trying to record the top 40 charts onto a C60 tape using the pause button to cut out the DJ waffle..... :laugh:

That was great. I might even still have some of those tapes down in the shed.

Suppose the modern equivalent is just ripping the audio files straight from YouTube. You just have to have a VPN as the sites are blocked in the UK.

Stream it grandads... FFS, you aren't getting Goldie Looking Chain without ...

View: https://youtu.be/Nuk3PhJzez0

Love GLC, have seen them live and they are awesome..
For me it's a mixture of CDs (new or used from Amazon, Ebay, Music Magpie, etc) and then rip them to MP3, or purchase and download digital files from Amazon (as above) or directly from the artist's page on Bandcamp (https://bandcamp.com/). The latter is usually more expensive as the price shown doesn't include VAT and some may incurr foreign currency conversion fees by your bank, but more of the money goes direct to the artist.

Just digesting the thread and this is probably best, Amazon and Bandcamp both let you order a physical copy but include digital files for download.

Alternatively do what I do, buy the discs and rip them to a PC.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My vinyl collection as a youngster, and CD collection as I got older were always incomplete, as I never had enough cash to buy everything I would have wanted. I have been using Spotify for about a decade. I know it's not good for the artists, but I can afford a tenner a month, and listen to everything I want to. Obviously I'd prefer to have a player and buy loads of vinyl, but tbh I rarely just sit and listen... Music accompanies what I'm doing. I have friends who spend a fortune on vinyl, but I was never completist anyway, and I don't really care about not having the physical product. I'm over 60, so I reckon I'm down wiff da kidz 🤔😎😁

Top Bottom