How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Not really, our lounge (which has two seperate seating areas) & dining area is fairly large, 20' x 35' max' and if eg we are eating or entertaining etc we really don’t want to be getting up and breaking conversation every 15-20 minutes or so to flip a disc or rummage through albums. It is not really a case of 'can't be bothered' and is not remotely a 'poor do' but simply a practical way of managing our music playback that works very well for us.

On another note one of the things we do is ask guests (if we don't already know) what their musical preferences are in advance. We then stitch a mash of their music and our music together as part of an evening long playlist. Goes down really well with guests and is very easy to do via eg Spotify with minimal impact on the evening.

Both our streamer (Arcam) and amp' (Cyrus) are App controlled and we have a dedicated tablet, all of which are wirelessly networked, that we use wherever we are located in the main living area of the house so no pile of dust collecting remotes in this house.

Horses for courses I guess.

We wouldn't dream of putting music on if we had guests, and more than we would put the TV on - in both cases unless there was something they particularly wanted to see or hear of course.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
We wouldn't dream of putting music on if we had guests, and more than we would put the TV on - in both cases unless there was something they particularly wanted to see or hear of course.

What about a Eurovision party?

Alex321

Veteran
What about a Eurovision party?

I don't think I know anybody who would either host or attend one of those :smile:

But yes, obviously there would be an exception where you were getting together in order to view something as a group.

And parties generally are different, though even then, we have normally only had music on in one room, and not loud enough to be disturbing to those in other rooms.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Last Eurovision, I had a rare night down the pub and enjoyed various beer festival pints over a number of hours. Was fairly shocked on wobbling back in through my front door to find the bl***y thing still hadn't finished.

Have been to a couple of Eurovision parties.
I don't think I know anybody who would either host or attend one of those :smile:
It's very tempting to treat the whole thing as superficial fluff, but if I take some time to learn & listen then some it is pretty good.
But after hours of music, and what seems a lifetime of voting... well, it all bangs on a bit too long.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not really, our lounge (which has two seperate seating areas) & dining area is fairly large, 20' x 35' max' and if eg we are eating or entertaining etc we really don’t want to be getting up and breaking conversation every 15-20 minutes or so to flip a disc or rummage through albums. It is not really a case of 'can't be bothered' and is not remotely a 'poor do' but simply a practical way of managing our music playback that works very well for us.

On another note one of the things we do is ask guests (if we don't already know) what their musical preferences are in advance. We then stitch a mash of their music and our music together as part of an evening long playlist. Goes down really well with guests and is very easy to do via eg Spotify with minimal impact on the evening.

Both our streamer (Arcam) and amp' (Cyrus) are App controlled and we have a dedicated tablet, all of which are wirelessly networked, that we use wherever we are located in the main living area of the house so no pile of dust collecting remotes in this house.

Horses for courses I guess.

Yeah, my set up is a bit 'hair shirt' with a Quad 44 pre-amp and two 303 poweramps wired as 2 channel 'monoblocks' bi-wired into the B&Ws

Luckily we have a wall in between the Lounge and the Dining room despite both of Maz's kids telling her to 'knock through'.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Went round my friends' new house for the afternoon. He was away but when I was looking round she asked if I wanted to see his 'listening room'. He's a DJ so has a big collection and a good setup. I was expecting it to be a nice room maybe with a sofa, table for your cuppa or beer, a place you want to spend time and chill in. None of that, it was a bare room in the cellar, absolutely stark with his rig at one end and a single wooden chair placed dead centre facing it. She said he spends hours down there.

Yeah, I've come across a few similar set ups, not for me. I run at the other end of the spectrum with plenty of clutter (Book cases, soft furnishings, pictures sideboards etc.) to prevent the formation of 'standing waves' and side reflections etc

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

No to the TV but we always have background music on when we have people round, it's nice down low for dinner parties, in fact it's on most of the time here every day.

In truth, I am struggling to think of any friends of ours that don't have background music on when we visit them for an evening/night.

Alex321

Veteran
No to the TV but we always have background music on when we have people round, it's nice down low for dinner parties, in fact it's on most of the time here every day.

In truth, I am struggling to think of any friends of ours that don't have background music on when we visit them for an evening/night.

Different groups of people, different attitudes.

We don't normally have music on as background at home, and nor AFAIK do most of our friends or relatives. I know a lot of people do, and I can see how if people are used to it, it could be more pleasant to have the same when a guest at a friend's house.

Top Bottom