How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
you can still get turntables that play 78's ... £50 off Amazon. Didn't they stop making those records in the 50's?
View attachment 682954

Even the latest Technics 2010 will play 78s...

1210.jpg

...by pressing both 33 and 45, which adds up to 78 :becool:

Even the latest Technics 2010 will play 78s...

View attachment 682993

...by pressing both 33 and 45, which adds up to 78 :becool:

I wish i had buttons on my Rega. You have to take the platter off and fiddle with the belt to change from 33 to 45. Bit of a faff.

Alex321

Veteran
you can still get turntables that play 78's ... £50 off Amazon. Didn't they stop making those records in the 50's?
View attachment 682954

Right at the end of the 50's. They were made up to 1958 in the US, and into the 60's in some other places such as the Philippines.

He's very clued up about prices/the value of items, so If there was a rare Elvis one, he'd have sussed its worth. Like Sinatra, I would've have Elvis Presley as a 78 rpm recorder. 🤔
Sinatra's first single was released in 1939! His first solo single in 1942.

His first album was in 1946.

The first 33⅓ LPs came along in 1948, the first 45s in 1949.

Elvis, BTW, started recording in 1954, so only overlapped 78s by about 4 years.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have Spotify connected to Alexa.

The grandchildren just say Alexa play (whatever they want) and it plays from Spotify.
I sometimes wish I hadn't shown them this

I need something I can install on her tablet and leave her with essentially unsupervised.

AndyRM

XOXO
https://beatdownrecords.org/

My local-ish record shop. Love it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Right at the end of the 50's. They were made up to 1958 in the US, and into the 60's in some other places such as the Philippines.

Sinatra's first single was released in 1939! His first solo single in 1942.

His first album was in 1946.

The first 33⅓ LPs came along in 1948, the first 45s in 1949.

Elvis, BTW, started recording in 1954, so only overlapped 78s by about 4 years.
I remember finding a bunch of 78s in the garage when I was circa 8 years old.
Our music centre amp had died, but the turntable rotated... so I made a gramophone cone from rolled sheets of paper and a sewing needle. It worked! (sort of).

Of course, the turntable only had 33 or 45 speeds, so I had to hold the cone with one hand, and use the other hand to manually "wind" the turntable at approx 78 rpm.

It was a terrible introduction to Elvis, and "Can't help falling in love".

winjim

Smash the cistern
https://beatdownrecords.org/

My local-ish record shop. Love it.

Shout out to the Rock Box, where I spent a lot of time and money growing up. Nice to see they're still there even if they have moved down the road.

https://www.rockbox.co.uk/

Also the metal club where I practically lived as a teenager has just had its 60th birthday. Still got the same DJ there as it had 25 years ago when I was going.

20230327_213828.jpg

... bit of an old thread I know but was wondering if anyone still pays for albums on iTunes? With Spotify etc being about a tenner a month for unlimited downloads surely not? I downloaded some Beatles anniversary albums the other day and noticed how much it was to 'buy' a digital version on iTunes. Assume this version gets you better quality?
1691768198439.png

Even more expensive on Qobuz .... maybe McCartney delivers it in person and gives you a quick blast of I've Got a Feeling?
1691768418749.png

DRM

Guru
... bit of an old thread I know but was wondering if anyone still pays for albums on iTunes? With Spotify etc being about a tenner a month for unlimited downloads surely not? I downloaded some Beatles anniversary albums the other day and noticed how much it was to 'buy' a digital version on iTunes. Assume this version gets you better quality?
View attachment 702257
Even more expensive on Qobuz .... maybe McCartney delivers it in person and gives you a quick blast of I've Got a Feeling?
View attachment 702258

Just had a look on iTunes and it is available to download, I have a subscription, so yes why would you buy it?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My favourite way of purchasing music is to buy a ticket or two and go to see it performed. Otherwise, I might listen to recorded music perhaps once or twice a month, and never, ever in the car. All the rest is silence.

Top Bottom