How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
you'd also need a stack of needles. As i understand it, it's one needle per play with that type of system.

It's also quite loud and with no volume control that's a problem. They were playing it in the shop, with a book over the speaker to muffle the loud sound.🧐

tyred

Legendary Member
I've often fancied a proper grama
It's an original according to the shop owner. He wants £100 for it and a stack of 78's. I think he'd take £75 to £80 cash. 🤔

View attachment 682928

View attachment 682929

View attachment 682930

View attachment 682931

View attachment 682932

View attachment 682933

View attachment 682934

I've often fancied something like that as it's a lovely piece of furniture but I probably wouldn't like any of the music you would find on a 78.

you can still get turntables that play 78's ... £50 off Amazon. Didn't they stop making those records in the 50's?
1679702824483.png

tyred

Legendary Member
you can still get turntables that play 78's ... £50 off Amazon. Didn't they stop making those records in the 50's?
View attachment 682954

I actually have a reasonably modern one, it's stashed away in my parents'actic. It's a '70s music centre with fully automatic turntable which can be set for 10" records and 78RPM.

There is also a load of old 78s which belonged to my great aunt.

I have listened to them, using the aforementioned record player. Nothing much to my taste in must. Some are single-sided which would suggest to me they are really old (I could be wrong).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've often fancied a proper grama

I've often fancied something like that as it's a lovely piece of furniture but I probably wouldn't like any of the music you would find on a 78.

Yes, the 78 rpm music is 'an acquired taste'. I bet it'd cost a bomb to have it repaired if say the crank/wind up thingy stopped working.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
if there's any Elvis lurking in there they can be worth thousands.

I didn't have time to flick through them as he was shutting the shop up when I got there. He had a Frank Sinatra 78 playing when I walked in. I wouldn't have thought Sinatra was recording in the days of 78's. 🤔

He's very clued up about prices/the value of items, so If there was a rare Elvis one, he'd have sussed its worth. Like Sinatra, I would've have Elvis Presley as a 78 rpm recorder. 🤔

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
View attachment 682954

I have a retro 1920's/30's record/CD/radio player I bought in a charity shop for £35 last year. It plays 78's and has volume control and a headphones socket. It's much more practical than that HMV oldie, but the oldie has that 'sense of history' feel about it. I could keep the HMV one in the boot of my car, then on nice days in the summer I could crank it up and gauge public reaction.;)

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Back in the 21st century, does anyone here use spotify kids? How do you find it? I've got a seven year old who needs access to music.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I spent an entire shift once with an autistic young man who played Johnny Cash, Ring of fire for eight hours straight. I hate that song.

• Hugs
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom