Cycling through Holland & Belgium - my experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
First up as a caveat I realise I'm not the first Englishman to cycle in mainland Europe. In fact I'm probably one of the last to experience it. But I wanted to share my experience of cycling nearly 200 miles through Holland and Belgium because it made such a huge impression on me.

My journey started with an accidentally ignorant post right here on CycleChat. I wanted to know if I could stash my bike in my cabin on the ferry. I need not have worried, there were a lot of other cyclists on the ferry. Having spent some time cycling in Holland and Belgium I can see why it's so popular.

You can read my full report here - http://veloballs.com/cycling-holland-punk-rock-festival-belgium/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not sure I understand why you want a touring or audax bike instead of just embracing the right tool for the job and getting a roadster or Dutch bike :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My observation from a couple of years of Fridays' Dutch holidays is that a steel tourer or a hybrid is perfect. I preferred the steel tandem with 32mm tyres to the titanium roadie with 25mm tyres I rode the previous year - and a number of people turned up the second year on bikes with wider tyres.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
My observation from a couple of years of Fridays' Dutch holidays is that a steel tourer or a hybrid is perfect. I preferred the steel tandem with 32mm tyres to the titanium roadie with 25mm tyres I rode the previous year - and a number of people turned up the second year on bikes with wider tyres.

Yeah, at the very least I'd change to much wider tyres before going back.

Reactions: mjr

Globalti

Legendary Member
I hadn't appreciated how bumpy the Dutch cycleways were. I've ridden off tarmac on my Roubaix for short distances and on long road trips I usually have my front 23mm tyre at 90psi but 80 miles of roughness might be a different matter.

We've done a few prevailing wind-assisted trips here in the Dales and south Lakes, coming back by train, which works well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Dutch bikes we borrowed were really heavy and slow. Comfy, but only for a few miles. I think a Dutch bike would exhaust me over 80 miles!
Those may have been the equivalents of beaters or hire bikes in this country that you lend out to people you're not sure about, though? One with chromoplastic mudguards and a lightweight rack is maybe 13kg in a big size like mine (but mine has metal guards, unsophisticated tubing AFAICT and a rack that someone can sit on, so it's nearly 18kg :laugh: )

I hadn't appreciated how bumpy the Dutch cycleways were.
They vary at least as much as in the UK - everything from cobbles and concrete panels to smooth smooth tarmac. Don't expect all cycleways to be paved with gold. The most uncomfortable surface I've ridden in NL was actually a small residential road with a brickweave pattern offset 30° - unsettlingly grabbing the wheels as well as bumpy.

Those may have been the equivalents of beaters or hire bikes in this country that you lend out to people you're not sure about, though? One with chromoplastic mudguards and a lightweight rack is maybe 13kg in a big size like mine (but mine has metal guards, unsophisticated tubing AFAICT and a rack that someone can sit on, so it's nearly 18kg :laugh: )

They vary at least as much as in the UK - everything from cobbles and concrete panels to smooth smooth tarmac. Don't expect all cycleways to be paved with gold. The most uncomfortable surface I've ridden in NL was actually a small residential road with a brickweave pattern offset 30° - unsettlingly grabbing the wheels as well as bumpy.

Having lived in the Netherlands for 9 months now I agree with your comments about the cyclepaths. They vary in quality. Where I live, near Breda in Noord Brabant, there are a lot of back roads and lanes for riding as well. The surface quality or these roads is excellent

graham56

Guru
IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
Having lived in the Netherlands for 9 months now I agree with your comments about the cyclepaths. They vary in quality. Where I live, near Breda in Noord Brabant, there are a lot of back roads and lanes for riding as well. The surface quality or these roads is excellent
Was there last year to visit my daughter who was at Breda Uni. She lived on Haagdijk near to The Haven.
I hired a bike and we took a few rides out mainly to the south, through Mastbos and to Galderse Meren.
Other times down across the border into Belgium. The weather was brilliant too.
As you were saying not all the cycle paths are flat and smooth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom