Cycling through lightning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I would have thought the tyres would act as insulators thus providing no way to earth. Having said that the voltages involved are huge.

Yeah the large voltages would jump the gap methinks. Air is a good insulator but lightning travels through it, ionising it on the way.

RhythMick

Über Member
Yeah the large voltages would jump the gap methinks. Air is a good insulator but lightning travels through it, ionising it on the way.

Damn, type faster Mick. Tim beat me.

Pauluk

Sara_H said:
Our route tomorrow is on the high peak trail, its a disused rail tack on a cutting above the surrounding country -
We're going to be high up, there's no shelter and we're attatched to metal things. Surely this isn't good?

If you were walking or cycling along a mountain ridge then close thunderstorms can be a risk. As mountaineers we would drop off the ridge in a bad storm and sit on our survival bags till it passed over (don't think the bags were any use except to keep you dry). I've known climbers actually throw their ice axes away during a storm can you believe.

A mountain ridge is quite an extreme if the storm is overhead, in a disused cutting not so bad. If you were caught out in it the probability of being hit are so remote as not to bother worrying. As other posters have implied its low risk/no risk, but if you are really worried if the storm is close just dismount and sit it out if there is no safe shelter to be had.

Our route tomorrow is on the high peak trail, its a disused rail tack on a cutting above the surrounding country -
We're going to be high up, there's no shelter and we're attatched to metal things. Surely this isn't good?
Now come on. Is it in a cutting or above the surrounding country?:smile:

Aren't you are doing the Tissington Trail? I'd have no worries about being up there in a storm. Plenty of hills and trees higher than you. And you might get a great view to watch the storms which is always fun. Have a great time and report back.:rain:

I was on a touring holiday in France and got chased along the top of the ridges for a couple of days by thunderstorms. Actually cycling wasn't quite as concerning as lying there in a tent at night on a flat open camping site while a storm went through. If you are caught out though the recommendation is to get away from anything metallic and/or tall, find a depression in the ground,squat down with your feet close together, tuck your head down, link your hands together across the top of your head and put your elbows on your knees.

Most people are killed by the voltage difference in the ground radiating out from a strike, not the strike itself so keeping your feet and legs together minimises that and short circuits any currents through your legs not your body. If you do have a direct hit it will go through your hands and arms into your knees and legs rather than down through your head and torso. That's the theory anyway. If you find shelter in a cave stay away from the entrance as lightning can sheet across it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Not sure I have ever heard of a cyclist killed by lightening (it must have happened but very rare I suspect),I think the greatest danger in those conditions is some idiot car driver aqua planing on a bend.

I got caught out on the bike yesterday in the thunder,no lightening luckilly but heaviest rain I have ever encountered.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
friend of mine got hit by lightening when he was about 12 when he was on his bike. It hit a tree first, then arced to him, then through his bike and arced to ground. He was fine. Mad thing is, he got hit twice more in the following 10 years!

Your second sentence is they key. Air is also an insulator under normal conditions, but when faced with a zillion volts of thundercloud, it conducts as well as Simon Rattle. So 28mm of tyre won't make a jot of difference.

Indeed the comment was made slightly in jest, although they may offer some protection from a nearby strike given the least path of resistance.^_^

berty bassett

Legendary Member
friend of mine got hit by lightening when he was about 12 when he was on his bike. It hit a tree first, then arced to him, then through his bike and arced to ground. He was fine. Mad thing is, he got hit twice more in the following 10 years!
bet he had a wild hairstyle !

Top Bottom