Cycling tightwads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Some of us are 'baby-boomers' and we were brought up with the wartime motto 'Make do and mend' and we have passed this attitude onto our kids who, hopefully, will continue passing it on.
I used to ride with 'Plastic Brian' so called because his overshoes and over mitts were Co-op plastic carrier bags. Does this make him a lesser cyclist? Some people can and do go too far - Big John with his inner tubes that had more patches than tube!
Your rear light has a scratch on it - do you think we care? Supposing that on a Sunday, I went into a cafe and there were three bikes outside - yours with your new rear light, Tynan with his garden wire mudguard fix and Arch with her knitted brake lever covers, would I notice your new light? I'd look at Tynan's and think that's a good idea, must take some wire with me and I'd possibly ask Arch for the knitting pattern!

spindrift

Don't waste money on address books this Christmas!!

Simply get a telephone directory and cross out all the people you don't know!

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
The saddle on my Sirrus is made from an old Sainsbury's naan bread.

You are so upper working class Maz, my saddle is made from a Waitrose Naan bread as I am firmly middle class! :blush::biggrin:

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
I don't even have a saddle on my bike...
No excuse. Netto naan bread. 12p.

Maz

Guru
Cab said:
I've been known to harvest fly-tipped parts of bicycles for spares. Is that wrong?
I always wondered why there were so many chained up bikes in Cambridge with no wheels...

Cab

Maz said:
I always wondered why there were so many chained up bikes in Cambridge with no wheels...

:becool:

Just wandering home from a friends house two streets away on Wednesday evening, I came across a perfectly good mountain bike tyre (not a lot of use to me) and a chain. Lots of bike detritus round and about this city.

On the same walk home we also found a hypothermic, very underweight hedgehog. Not cycling related at all, but as I seem to have taken on nursing this creature back to health before releasing it (having been to the vets with her and taken advice from a wildlife sanctuary), thought I'd mention it in passing.