Cycling to job interview.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
could you start off early and cycle nice and easy?
Yeah, it's only 16 miles and the interview is at 11am. I was never going to hammer it, think I will give myself 1 1/2 hours. That will give me 1hr to cycle at a steady pace, 10 mins to cool down by the side of the road, 5 mins to change and 15 minutes to get lost!

apb

Veteran
it would be funny if the person interviewing you drove past as you were getting changed in the bushes.

I'd like to make you conscious of that possibility. As having a job interview is nerve racking enough, now you'll be looking over your shoulder when getting changed.

best of luck. :evil:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Buy a packet of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes. Moisten a couple of flannels and take them in a plastic bag. When you find your bush rub down with Baby Wipes then the damp flannels.

You'll feel better, fresher and won't need to worry about appearing sweaty and flushed from exercise.

dodd82

If you're asked about this, the interviewer is on dodgy ground, since how you get to work is none of his business - as long as you show up on time reliably. You could quite legitimately point that out, and ask if all the other candidates have been asked the same question (if they haven't, the employer is breaking the equal opportunities rules).

I would imagine that if you were to point this out, and then go on to discuss equal opportunities rules, you won't stand any chance of getting the job!

Top tip: where a dark jumper over your shirt. You'll look smart, but you won't have to worry about creases.

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Buy a packet of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes. Moisten a couple of flannels and take them in a plastic bag. When you find your bush rub down with Baby Wipes then the damp flannels.

You'll feel better, fresher and won't need to worry about appearing sweaty and flushed from exercise.
I already have wet wipes in my saddlebag for when I have to piss around with a chain and I've already used my latex gloves.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you do cycle in then get changed, don't forget to take your helmet off... You'd give the game away if you didn't (plus, you might look a bit of a wally with a suit, tie & matching GIRO perched on the top!!)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do..

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have cycled to several interviews in the past and carried wet wipes. I also carried a can of deodorant. I am not keen on the spray stuff but it was handy for a squirt before an interview. I always worried that I would smell even after the most sedate of cycles and a quick spray of deo made sure that I did not.

Good luck tomorrow.

Adam G

Regular
Ooh, it's in 20 minutes time! How did it go (for when you get back)?

I have an interview in an hour, I am going to cycle and came across this thread looking for last minute tips. Although this is different as I already got the job but off to dictate my terms to the boss-boss but still need an impression. I was just using a sharpie on my SPDs to see if I can make them look like black shoes instead of carrying the bulk - I can't.

But I have cycled to plenty of interviews in the past. It's who I am. I actually ask at interviews if they have shower/changing facilities; you're also checking if you want to work for them; you have the interview so you already know you're qualified. If they positively discourage cycling do you really want to work for them? The pay might be good but the best job I've had as well as the lowest paid is spending hours on the saddle every day. Weigh up the pros/cons. But "IN THIS ECONOMY" it's a buyers market so you can't pick and choose your job as easily as 10 years ago.

Top Bottom