Cycling to job interview.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
I live in Cornwall and have a job interview in the middle of nowhere. I cycle everywhere as I don't have a car and don't want one. I have panniers and a rack so transporting my clothes isn't the problem. The problem is getting changed and the clothes not being creased. Any ideas?

boybiker

Guru
Is there's a local gym or swimming pool you can shower and change at ?

Give them a call and ask them if they have facilities you can use.
They will most likely ask you how you will get there anyway if it is in the middle of nowhere.
Plus it makes you more interesting to interview, you could be interviewed by a fellow cyclist and think of the kudos that gives you before you start.

Maylian

Veteran
Alternatively ask a friend with a car for a lift? If it was me I wouldn't risk the potential kudos of being interviewed by another cyclist with the fact that you'd be sweaty and wearing creased clothes and just ask about facilities during the question round-up after.

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't drive and really don't want to learn but if you're looking for another job it is for a reason, I personally wouldn't risk that because I know how much more at ease I am if I'm clean, non sweaty and in pressed clothes without having to have done it somewhere foreign. Alternatively ask....

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
All my friends work 9-5 Mon-Fri. It's tomorrow at 11am and I have no family anywhere near me.

I can't afford the expense of a cab, I have already had to buy some smart clothes as I have grown out of my old smart clothes. I'm a chef so day to day I never where them, I've put on some chest/shoulder bulk since I started riding a few years ago/last time I had an interview.

As for giving them a call and asking to use their shower before an interview, that would be interesting...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Roll up your smart clothes, or get one of those things for packing shirts so that they don't crease. Put them and your smart shoes in your panniers.

Take the journey steady so you don't arrive in a state of melt-down. When you arrive, ten minutes or so early, park your bike and ask to use the loo. Get changed and smarten yourself up, put your cycling kit in your briefcase or smart bag.

Do the interview.

Presumably, if you're offered the job, you'll commute by bike to do it. If you're asked about this, the interviewer is on dodgy ground, since how you get to work is none of his business - as long as you show up on time reliably. You could quite legitimately point that out, and ask if all the other candidates have been asked the same question (if they haven't, the employer is breaking the equal opportunities rules). However, you should be honest about it.

If it's a big place, there's no reason the interviewer should detect you came by bike, and anyway, it's irrelevant. Your performance doing the job is what's important.

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Roll up your smart clothes, or get one of those things for packing shirts so that they don't crease. Put them and your smart shoes in your panniers.

Take the journey steady so you don't arrive in a state of melt-down. When you arrive, ten minutes or so early, park your bike and ask to use the loo. Get changed and smarten yourself up, put your cycling kit in your briefcase or smart bag.

Do the interview.

Presumably, if you're offered the job, you'll commute by bike to do it. If you're asked about this, the interviewer is on dodgy ground, since how you get to work is none of his business - as long as you show up on time reliably. You could quite legitimately point that out, and ask if all the other candidates have been asked the same question (if they haven't, the employer is breaking the equal opportunities rules). However, you should be honest about it.

If it's a big place, there's no reason the interviewer should detect you came by bike, and anyway, it's irrelevant. Your performance doing the job is what's important.
I think I'll be rolling my clothes, as for getting changed on premises, it's a restaurant. People will see me walking in. I'm thinking about 1 mile out of the village (farmyard bush). Wip off my jersey but keep my bib shorts on. Throw my shirt and trousers on, change my shoes from cycling ones to smart ones in the car park. It's not the most convenient but it's not like I have everything riding on the job, just fancy a change.

The question of getting to the job always comes up in every interview, I lucked out last time and had a cyclist boss (who has since left). They where not sure if they wanted to hire me because of it (even though it's only 10 miles away) my head chef fought to get me, I think it worked in my favour. I'll just have to be honest and say I'm a capable cyclist and I do similar mileage at the moment to get to work (no much difference between 10 and 16 ;) )

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I took no chances and got the bus (which isnt possible in your case) when I went into my interview. The question of how I would get to work came up and I said that I would cycle (only 9 miles). My boss was happy with that (although she thought the distance was too far). I am only contracted for one day a week (although I regularly have 2/3 days that I actually work) so cycling is much more convenient than driving.
I am trying to save up for a car as I know that I will have to do lots of traveling when I finish college (Civil Engineering course) in order to post CV's through peoples postboxes. It also helps when I go for an interview as one definition of the job will probably be travel.

With regards to my current job (which I did get BTW), I cycle in every day that I work. Most of my colleagues are amazed at how far I cycle and do support me doing so (I regularly see them on the commute in and out).

It shouldnt really matter how you get to work, you are still getting there. Just make sure you are not sweaty or tired or late.

Top Bottom