Cycling to the South Pole: A world first

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WIGHTDIAMOND

This (Amazon link) looks well worth a read!

4105ch1IkuL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That was quite a while ago.

I worked with her dad.

The White ICE Cycle 3.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I read a recent biography of Amundsen, and his brilliant expedition. Most people know the story of Scott and the tragedy that happened. They were stepping into the unknown at the time. Kite-boarding to the Pole (or whatever) just seems a bit daft in comparison, and a bit contrived, even if it's a stupendous feat of endurance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

climo

Über Member
He was second, and no one remembers the second placed guy.
Think the Spanish guy only cycled 120m. The American cycled all the way (minus the ice shelf) which is 775 miles. Think he took 51 days.
The British girl is a master of self promotion in claiming to be the first person. Not diminishing her achievement but I don't think it's right to claim something which you didn't do.
Trike was good though!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Think the Spanish guy only cycled 120m. The American cycled all the way (minus the ice shelf) which is 775 miles. Think he took 51 days.
The British girl is a master of self promotion in claiming to be the first person. Not diminishing her achievement but I don't think it's right to claim something which you didn't do.
Trike was good though!

Hmm I remember it being reported at the time on the BBC news , newspapers etc. Do you have a link for the American's claim where he claims to be the first yo have cycled from the edge of the continent?

Top Bottom