cycling top gear ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I really enjoyed watching Oz Clarke and Hugh Dennis bimble amiably around the UK sampling the best of British food and drink recently - maybe the cycling could be tempered with relaxed interludes in Britain's best cafes and pubs, quaffing beer and sampling tea, coffee and cakes?

You'd have to make sure none of the regulars on Commuting got on the show - every time a car passed them they'd be screaming "DID YOU SEE THAT? THAT WAS TOO CLOSE.... HE NEARLY KILLED ME!"

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Seriously. If any of you have anything worth ripping off - just hand it to me. I'll run it by Her Nibs.

The trouble is that I don't think cycling is particularly interesting to watch.

And, Gti don't diss 'Commuting'. Where in a new era, now!

Bigsharn

Veteran
Not cycling only, but maybe a Human Powered vehicle show (including scooters and skateboards)

Unless I'm mistaken Top Gear have had a go at reviewing tractors, vans, lorries and motorbikes (Vietnam special) as well as the regular cars, I reckon having three middle aged men (Or women, I could see Arch giving it a go) riding around on a bit of wood with wheels attached would be good viewing :smile:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Provided it has the right mix of presenters and proper money spent, it has to be a success. Just look at The Gadget Show and Top Gear.

The Beeb are happy to spend serious money, I often wonder what the helicopter shots cost on Wainwrights Walks, Countryfile, Great Train Journeys, Coast, and the Bradbury and Balding series ?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not cycling only, but maybe a Human Powered vehicle show (including scooters and skateboards)

Unless I'm mistaken Top Gear have had a go at reviewing tractors, vans, lorries and motorbikes (Vietnam special) as well as the regular cars, I reckon having three middle aged men (Or women, I could see Arch giving it a go) riding around on a bit of wood with wheels attached would be good viewing :smile:

Me and three middle aged men? Wow, I'll give it a go alright....

Although I am useless on a skateboard, can barely stand up on one. I'd be the Clarkson on that score.

Of course Richard Hammond rides a bike. And is nearly middle aged, and now he's cut his hair he's alright again.

Hugh Dennis rides a bike a bit I think.

Yeah, that would do me. Me and those two.

Obvious candidate and cyclist, Dave Gorman. In fact his tour when he peddled between venues getting local guides may have worked quite well. Get an occasional celebrity in there to make it more of a chat show on a bike...

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I guess that's why Top Gear does so well - they don't do road tests, not seriously. They did the new Ford Fiesta a couple of seasons back, wherein Clarkson proved you could get a horses head in the back, and it would carry him and three marines off a landing craft up a beach. Hilarious.

This was the very reason my new car is a fiesta; living near the coast you never know when beach landing ability may be called upon & after the other day when one of the many local horse riders made 'comments' that I should have slowed down ( I had to about 8mph, though I was going uphill & it was icey so I could not slow too much) the horse head carrying ability may have to be employed :angry:

on the subject I'll volunteer to present it, I have no presentation skills or technical ability, though my overt childishness & northern regional accent may be enough? (well clarkson is from donchester)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I liked that Fiesta 'test' - the best bit was actually probably a real ad lib, not scripted. Sitting in the car on the landing craft with three Marines in the car with Clarkson, one of the marines in the back piped up "are we nearly there yet?".

No presentation skills or technical ability? I think you're looking for Channel 5....

just jim

I have no knowledge of a potential cycling show
whistling.gif
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

perplexed

Guru
How abour something along the lines of the "Three Men In A Boat" thing with Dara O'Brien et al?

I don't mean them as presenters, more the general idea.

(The Dave Gorman idea above could be a good starting point.)

The Claire Balding thing was ok-ish, but not that dynamic. And she looked unsteady on the bike...

pshore

I've watched a lot of these style programs recently Oz and Hugh/May, Three Men ..., Rory and Paddy.

It's all about the people and how entertaining they are - the theme is secondary. Would you watch: Two men get drunk ? Three men on a barge ? Two blokes take part in village contests ? One man in a shed ? Errr no, unless they are entertaining in some way.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

ooook ok. I know of something ;)

Top Bottom