cycling tour in the Isle o Skye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
I've recently finished a lovely wee tour from Ullapool going through Scourie,Durness,Tongue,Thurso,Wick, Brora ending at Inverness.My apetite has been whetted for more and i fancy going round the Isle o Skye later in the summer...Someone on here has bound to have done this so i would grateful for any kind of info ie could i go round in a few days? what the roads are like? etc....ta for any replies...thanks chaps

chrtho

I briefly hopped on and off Skye on a tour up the west coast and found it relatively busy compared to the wonderful emptiness north of Ullapool although I never made it to the extremities and it may be quieter the further out you go. However I can recommend the detour down the dead-end to Elgol for the view of the Cuillin from the 'other' side. Free camping at Loch Slapin.

stumpy66

Veteran
I recently did some of Skye on my way back from the Western Isles, we went from Uig down to Dunvegan then followed the west coast down to Aamadale to get the ferry over to Mallaig. The roads were pretty quiet once off the main Portree road tbh, there are some minor roads that get you away from the biz.

There is a bunkhouse in Dunvegan and also a nice camp site, some nice views of the Cuillins all the way down and it wasnt as hilly as i had expected, well compared the Harris/Lewis anyway :smile:

toroddf

My own tour eleven years ago.

Two highlights on Skye I would recommend: Sligachan to Dunvegan. Excellent ride. My # 2 suggestion is the ride from Uig to Portree around the The Trotternish Peninsula. That means going north from Uig and around the coast line. A pretty hard ride but well worth it.
Both the Broadford to Armadale and the Portree to Uig road is the two least interesting roads on the island. The other roads are far better (more scenic) roads.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I used to go climbing on Skye every year. It's a breathtakingly beautiful place. Just take waterproofs. Very good waterproofs. With extra waterproofing. Maybe umbrellas too. Oh, and did I mention waterproofs? It rains a bit there.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
My own tour eleven years ago.
I enjoyed that, thanks. Brought back lots of memories.

"Old Man Of Storr. This rock formation is not that impressive when looking at it from below"
I can assure you it's a lot more impressive looking when looking at it from below when you're about to climb it! :eek:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Its takes as long as you want it to, i did the full perimeter road (97 miles) in one day but that was no luggage and not really stopping , if you wanted to take it easy i would plan 2 days as there is plenty of places that need stopping and taking in the views etc.

Roads are smoothish and pretty empty in May but i can see them getting very busy in July/August as all the cars i saw were tourists cars.

Lots of nice pubs and shops to stop off for food etc .

Top Bottom