Cycling transition to Scooter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being quite into the mod scene in my youth and now again in my 50's - I am toying with idea of getting a scooter - thing that puts me off is safety, which might sound daft considering I ride a cycle and commute to work in the summer months. But on my bike I can get off and use ped crossings , use cycle paths, etc on stretches of road \ junctions, roundabouts I don't fancy..

So would my years of cycling help me transition to a scooter ?

Is a scooter much more dangerous than a push bike ?

Or would being a cyclist actually make me a worst motor cyclists - as I may try and ride a scooter the way I ride a bike ?

Edit - I am talking motorised scooters here.

Sixmile

Veteran
I have also thought about the possibilities of using a scooter/small motorbike. I think the advantages are being able to keep up with the traffic mostly meaning less overtakes, continued ease of parking, retaining filtering ability to some degree and able to use the bus lanes where available.

On the flip side, the additional speed may mean less chance to stop/react WHEN you are cut up and side swiped whilst in a bus lane. Then as you say, having to stick to the road instead of cycle paths, towpaths and the odd unofficial turn.

I've never ridden a motorbike on a public road but I'm sure those that have will be along shortly!

T675Rich

I probably can't help too much as I am the other way round, been riding motorbikes for the last 20 years but only just starting out commuting on a cycle.

I would have thought your experience on two wheels will be more of a help than a hindrance as you will have gotten used to being a vulnerable road user so used to looking out for idiots doing idiotic things. I definitely think my motorbike experience helps me get confidence on by cycle. I can't imagine you would get confused and try to go places on your scooter you shouldn't.

Obviously it's a lot easier to maintain a higher speed when you have an engine and if something were to happen at a higher speed you are more likely to get hurt worse but I wouldn't say they are much more dangerous but it really depends how you ride it. As with cycling filtering is more risky than waiting in traffic but I find cars are more likely to see me, or at least hear me, on my motorbike but I am more experienced on a motorbike so my perception may be skewed. I find I filter a little more on my motorbike as I have the ability to speed up if I need to, for example I am weary of going pass a bus if I am not sure when they are going to pull out on my push bike as I don't want to end up on the right when the bus pulls away as they will certainly out pace me. The extra acceleration helps.

Obviously motorbikes can't uses cycle lanes and can't fit through the smaller gaps like bicycles can but we can often use bus lanes.

I know you can ride up to a certain cc on L plates if you have a driving licence and pass your CBT but I would recommend passing you full test.

Whether any of that was useful I don't know.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I used to ride mopeds and low powered motorbikes on a commute into the West End of London.

No problems, apart from having a couple of accessories pinched from the bike when it was parked off Regent Street during the day.

Someone stole the kickstarter from the motorbike parked next to mine.

The young lass who was riding it was grateful to me for bump starting it for her.

@StuAff commutes by motor scooter.

I think he's had some reliability - and possibly collision - incidents.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As I got tagged.....
Been riding scoots, and more recently bikes as well, on CBTs since 2013, in preparation for my commute going to 20 miles each way (late shift with 9.30 finish, I did not fancy getting home at 11 every night). Got my Honda PCX brand new in March 2015, soon after the work move (and nine days doing that commute on a 50cc....shudder)...it's now past 31,000 miles (200 miles a week just on the commute). For me, the lessons of cycling definitely apply to motorised biking- about having to be more aware than other road users of potential dangers, of leaving space, knowing when and how to get around roundabouts safely, and so on. Reliability issues: well, my Honda has done a LOT more mileage than most scoots, and it's still a cheap bike. Wiring loom needed replacing to sort a persistent gremlin (part was £30 from a breakers...), and new headlight unit as water got in the original (I'd scraped it in the car park at work). Otherwise, utterly boring on the reliability front, as it should be. As a non-driver, it's been very handy indeed to have transport when trains are not an option, or turn into buses due to engineering work. And 130-140 mpg, week in, week out....
As for the collision: a Land Rover Discovery pulled out right in front of me on my commute (a double decker bus was queued in front of the junction, he thought there was a gap when I was in it.....). One dead Yamaha YBR 125....This was in broad daylight....not put me off biking, with or without an engine. Insurance paid in full, got another, better, Yamaha, and planning to do a full A2 category licence course in the new year.

Do a CBT with a decent trainer, get a quality bike and gear, and you'll be fine.

Smudge

Veteran
I feel far safer on my motorcycles than i do on my bikes...... for the main reason that i'm not constantly being overtaken, often by motorists that dont give a feck about you.
So i would say get one..... you can still cycle when you want as well. Best of both worlds.

So would my years of cycling help me transition to a scooter ?
I'm not qualified to answer directly as I've never ridden a hair drier, and my motorcycle experience is limited to off road on a purpose made track.

But I do drive a car and ride a bicycle (not at the same time, that would be epic).

I believe that road experience is road experience. And I believe the greater diversity of things you've taken onto the roads, the greater the awareness of risks and respect for others. I drive my car with an awareness of bike riders, and I ride my bike with an awareness of motor vehicles.

I reckon your cycling experience will go along with with your hair drying skills. You already have experience of being in a vulnerable position on the road, and how to mitigate the risks. That will count for a lot.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Statistically, motorcycling is about twice as dangerous as pedal cycling, but I reckon a lot of that is down to the fact there are a lot of out and out nutters who ride their motorbikes at insanely high speeds on twisty country roads at the weekends and sooner or later end up having very bad and often fatal crashes. Those sort of incidents must significantly skew the overall accident figures and make everyday motorcycling appear more dangerous than it actually is.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Statistically, motorcycling is about twice as dangerous as pedal cycling, but I reckon a lot of that is down to the fact there are a lot of out and out nutters who ride their motorbikes at insanely high speeds on twisty country roads at the weekends and sooner or later end up having very bad and often fatal crashes. Those sort of incidents must significantly skew the overall accident figures and make everyday motorcycling appear more dangerous than it actually is.
Yep pretty much... Few people who pass their test these days go on to futher learning of any sort so they're left with the basic and largely useless CBT gained knowledge and the watching of racing on TV...

Ultimately, that ends up being the downfall of riders as they panic brake on the racing line towards an oncoming bus

OT: depending on the length of commute I would obviously be considering something geared (if in doubt, my avatar is a clue) but having never ridden a scooter/moped I shouldn't be commenting on that aspect.

Smudge

Veteran

The speed is a big factor in how dangerous motorcycles can be, come off at 60/70 + mph and it'll rarely end well. Bicycles are obviously nowhere near as fast.
Another factor is 'born agains'..... guys who's kids have now grown up so now they buy a motorcycle. These guys have a motorcycle licence from many years ago, but also now have a decent disposable income. So they go out and buy an R1 or a Fireblade. Stupidly powerful motorcycles that really shouldn't be ridden by guys that last had experience of motorcycles back in the 80's.
Then there's this thing now, where bikers will sorn their bikes in winter. Then they come out in the spring, rusty from the downtime, and get excited about riding a motorcycle again, usually by giving it a fistfull of throttle.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Then there's this thing now, where bikers will sorn their bikes in winter. Then they come out in the spring, rusty from the downtime, and get excited about riding a motorcycle again, usually by giving it a fistfull of throttle.
Being of Northern Irish origin I see this every year around the end of March. The following two months are largely the worst on roads here as the winter sleepers appear in droves for road racing season.. Problem being, as you say they get on the bike acting Billy big balls with a fistful when mentally they simply aren't and can't be up to "speed"

After doing 10,000 miles or so per year I now feel a bit sluggish after a couple weeks no riding.. I'll likely be out tomorrow + plan to keep riding when weather and time allows ^_^

Top Bottom