Cycling trip tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanS48

Regular
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice planning a cycling holiday with some friends for summer this year please (safety permitting with Covid). It's a bit more lax than Touring, but happy to move to that Sub if you think it's better placed there (I'm pretty new here).

Around 10 of us are looking to plan a couple night cycling holiday. It would be great if anybody has tips for websites with cycle routes on, or even personal tips? For walking I often use websites like walkinghighlands or gps-routes, but haven't got a go to for cycling.

We're a mix of standards, and looking for routes more pub friendly (especially as it's for somebody's 30th). Thinking Glasgow and setting off West/North from there, as it's easy to get to by train, with bikes, for us in different parts of the country. If anybody has other suggestions, preferably up North, then please send em over.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

Dwn

Have you looked into the 5 ferries route? It takes in Arran and Bute with a mix of hills and flatter sections. People tend to do it in a day, but my wife and I thinking about doing it over 2 days with an overnight stop in Tarbert. You could extend it by cycling to/from the start and finish ferry terminals (Ardrossan and Wemyss Bay).

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My favourite route planning site is cycle.travel. If you enter where you want to start and finish, they seem to plan really sensible routes. (I've just discovered this so haven't yet tested any actual routes but I've planned some trips close to home and they've taken me on routes that seem sensible). So if you do some research about places you want to visit, you can use this website to plan good routes between them.

I'd also suggest Crazy Guy On A Bike, a touring website that might be useful. I'm sure there are some good travel suggestions there for you.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Just looked on cycle.travel, what a great find. Love the fact you can print off a map centred on wherever you want and decide on the scale. I've saved in in my faves for future use. Although I know my local area quite well, it's useful for finding alternative ways to get somewhere. :thumbsup:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
York or Northallerton are decent bases for a mix of rides. Flat rides in the Vale of York / Thirsk or an outing up onto the North York moors or Yorkshire Wolds. Easy to get to by train. Plenty of pubs to plan a ride round the villages there about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanS48

DanS48

Regular
Thanks for the tips everyone. cycle.travel looks great, routeyou looks like it has lots of route ideas across Britain too.

The 5 ferries route looks lovely. Might be one for another time as I think we need a base with ten of us, and it's too long (for some of us) for one day.

Will check out around York and Northallerton.

KatherineTate

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice planning a cycling holiday with some friends for summer this year please (safety permitting with Covid). It's a bit more lax than Touring, but happy to move to that Sub if you think it's better placed there (I'm pretty new here).

Around 10 of us are looking to plan a couple night cycling holiday. It would be great if anybody has tips for websites with cycle routes on, or even personal tips? For walking I often use websites like walkinghighlands or gps-routes, but haven't got a go to for cycling.

We're a mix of standards, and looking for routes more pub friendly (especially as it's for somebody's 30th). Thinking Glasgow and setting off West/North from there, as it's easy to get to by train, with bikes, for us in different parts of the country. If anybody has other suggestions, preferably up North, then please send em over.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Sounds like a blast! I've been thinking about the same thing and have been debating between an ebike or a regular bike. What are you planning on?

pjd57

Veteran
If you think the 5 ferries might be too much, don't be put off going to Arran.
Train from Glasgow Central to Ardrossan , takes you right to the ferry. Nice crossing to Brodick and take it from there.
All the way round is 55 miles , good few hills , stunning beaches and views . There are shorter routes as well .

Or head east from Glasgow.....if you want a flat run , Forth and Clyde canal to Falkirk wheel , on to the Kelpies , then a few more miles to the Kincardine bridge and into Fife.
Plenty of routes and accommodation there.

Or train from Glasgow to Stirling, then cycle to Dunblane, Crieff and on to Aberfeldy going through the Sma Glen.
Aberfeldy is a great wee town. Usually good deals on accommodation at the Moness resort.

Good luck

Last edited:
Top Bottom