Cycling vs. Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
At the other extreme, I don't think I've ever driven to work - in a career spanning four decades. I've never had "commuting" on my car insurance.

That's not because I'm some kind of environmental paragon, it's just because it's always been easier to get the train. Or else I've been working on client site and staying in a hotel and getting taxis.

Average 4-5 hours per day - most days I left home or whatever hotel I was staying in at around 6am and home or whatever hotel I was staying in by around 8pm.

Had operational control of a large retail region - draw a straight line between Liverpool and Sheffield and then everything North of that to the tip of Scotland.

Very demanding job without the travel and very definitely not possible on a bike. 😁

I think that sums up part of the problem: living without a car and using a bike isn't particularly physically or psychologically difficult, but the expectations of society and employers are often hard to meet without a car.

In your case, it shows how incredibly cheap petrol and road usage is, when it's cheaper to pay someone to drive for several hours instead of paying several people to work more locally.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think that sums up part of the problem: living without a car and using a bike isn't physically or psychologically difficult, but the expectations of society and employers are often hard to meet without a car.

In your case, it shows how incresdibly cheap petrol and road usage is, when it's cheaper to pay someone to drive for several hours instead of paying several people to work more locally.

Re your last para' - yes, despite paying me very well, the cost of running a nice car and fueling it etc, that was a drop in the ocean compared to the combined turnover of the stores in the region.

Going a bit OT now so I best stop there. ✋😁

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Possibly of interest, possibly not:

We have 1 ultra-distance all-weathers cyclist, 2 pretty hard-core cyclists, 2 very keen cyclists and a lazy sod (me) cyclist in the village.

Not one of them uses a bike to go to the shops and the two that still work (4 miles away) do not commute on a bike.

Is it the same or different in your local cycling 'bubble'?

classic33

Leg End Member

We have 1 ultra-distance all-weathers cyclist, 2 pretty hard-core cyclists, 2 very keen cyclists and a lazy sod (me) cyclist in the village.

Not one of them uses a bike to go to the shops and the two that still work (4 miles away) do not commute on a bike.

There's one cyclist near me that cycled to and from work yesterday.
Breezy going(his description), snowing coming home.

We have a fair few commuters a lot of school kids, and no shortage of other people shopping or going on errands. It gets quite crowded when you go into Freiburg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I did commute by bike from Cardross to Helensburgh 4 miles each way and then cycled on the job when I was a postman. Later motorbike for 10 miles each way to my next job but after that lived more or less on the premises when I was a distillery manager and worked from home for nearly 20 years.
The office girls had to get instructed “ you do NOT say he is not in the office but I’ll just try the house” when responding to phone calls.:stop:I had a very understanding wife and went into the house for coffee breaks.
Latterly my van was often full of goods do had to get taken to work about a mile away.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Working from home has hit my cycling miles hard. Riding to work is great as you have to get there somehow. I got into a really good routine of riding in all year round, then covid hit and my commute is down a flight of stairs and the journey isn't quite as challenging or satisfying.
With the covid WFH thing, I still commuted to work. I just did a circular 5 mile loop from my front door out on the Marriotts and back, coming in through the back door, to my kitchen table.
unless it was pouring, when I walked to work, the short route, through living room to kitchen.

Top Bottom