Cycling vs. Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fighting a fierce headwind, doing a day's physical work, then having to ride home afterwards whilst feeling knackered - no thanks. That would suck the enjoyment out of cycling and turn it into a chore. Cycling by choice is different from cycling under duress because you don't have any alternative to it.

I got used to it after a while and it just becomes part of the day. The next day will be better.

Personally I think the stress of being responsible for a car and driving on a regular basis would be a chore to me.

gbb

Legendary Member
It always depended on the distance for me.
2,5 miles to work for many years, I would always cycle 4 days a week, barring extreme weather, id usually sprint it, often extend it to add in a few miles.
Then I changed work, 14 miles away, quite commutable but then time becomes the issue, around an hour each way, not ideal in a tiring job, so I used to try to cycle once, maybe twice a week in the summer.
Now I drive to work (arthritis makes any distance on a bike impossible) the roads (motorway) are busy, I just set my speed at a pace that suits me, 60 - 65 and treat it as my relaxing time before I get to work. Its how you mentally treat the traffic, I do my thing, everyone else can do theirs, doesn't bother me particually to see idiots every day.
Typical example comes to mind almost immediately...someone tells me they were stuck behind two lorries for several miles :angry:.
My thought when they tell me that ?..., so you got held up for 5 minutes, so what ?
Its all how you approach it.

But I long for the old days when I cycle commuted ^_^

Adam4868

Guru
Good weather,later starts at work I'd take the bike.
Winter,bad weather early starts car.
Going into work for 6/7 a.m in the rain/wind down the seafront.Then doing six hours outside walking 12/14 miles.
A headwind home doesn't seem as attractive on the bike.

Always prefer the bike although I do try to avoid the rain, and ice, and snow…..

Started again this week as it’s fairly dry and above zero in the morning so the risk of ice seems fairly low.

Did get it wrong yesterday though when I left the office too late and caught in a downpour at about the half way point:

At least the rain gave me some motivation to shift my butt😅

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good thread - much more balanced than an anti-car rant.

The reality is it's horses for courses.

At the end of the day at least more and more people are making better choices re how they use their car and what car they drive - a long way to go though and not helped by the way cars are marketed ie 'performance', aspirational lifestyle accessory etc.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I recorded my commutes over a year in the early days. I got wet a total of 8 times over the year. You don’t get as wet as often as people think.

Depends a lot on where you live of course.

It's not about getting wet for me,if it rains I'm outside all day anyway.Its about being knackered lol....no fun riding home in sh1te weather when you've been in it all day !

I see the point, although a friend is a landscape gardner and commutes by bike: he says it doesn't really make any difference; if it's raining he's wet already so who cares?

Top Bottom