Cycling vs. Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Bike commute far better than the car commute. Apart from school holidays it was just as quick door to door on the bike as in the car. But on the bike you arrive with a smile and ready for the day. Where as in the car you’d be grumpy from the traffic. Sure I’d have a shower at work, but a minor inconvenience and I got my exercise done whilst commuting. No needing to visit a gym in the evening or early morning. This was an 11-13 mile commute each way depending on the route I took.

The ONS reports show 70% of car journeys are less than 5 miles. They are the journeys perfect for a bike or walking, but too many just default to the car.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I enjoy both: cycling for relaxation, exercise and freedom, driving for convenience.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I really enjoy cycling to work & back, rather than taking the car. To make my commute easier I sometimes hop on the train on the journey home ( it takes out 2 big hills ) my commute is 20kms each way.

When I do have to drive its mainly due to the weather - rain or strong winds ( ie this week ).

figbat

Slippery scientist
As I'm sure most of us will agree, cycling is much better than driving in most circumstances.:okay:
Thoughts - ? :whistle:
I'm not sure I agree with the opening statement as it depends on a number of factors. Time, weather, reason for journey, load etc.

For commuting my drive is about 25 minutes of largely country roads, very little delay, go at my own speed mostly, very pleasant. However I often also have to drop the kids at school on the way, meaning a car is necessary. Sometimes my wife will do the school run and I'll ride to work, which is mostly off-road, about an hour each way, a couple of decent climbs, makes a good way to top and tail the working day, but requires me to leave an hour earlier to fit in the extended journey time and the shower when I get to work. And if the weather's wet it's a miserable journey as some of the route turns to slippery, muddy, frustrating ruts. However in good weather, especially when the daylight is extended, it can be achingly serene and beautiful - sometimes I'll do the 9 miles or so of offroad section and never see another soul. The exercise and solitude makes for good mind-clearing and 'decompression'.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Driving 9 miles to work takes 1 to 1.5 hours depending on traffic, sometimes longer. Riding down the canal in the mud for 13 miles, takes an hour, give or take a few minutes. Was much quicker on the road bike, but it did involve trips to hospital occasionally :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MrsF just phoned to ask if I wanted a lift home. I said with this wind, I'll be home before I set off. No ta. Plus I'd have to hoover the back of the car out as my bike is full of mud.

freiston

Veteran
I'm out of work atm but in my last job, my commute by bike was about 12 miles each way. I don't drive and so my alternative was public transport.

The cycle-commute was a mixed bag of single track country lanes and busy commuter routes, mostly single carriageway but some dual carriageway, with a couple of very fast large road islands (with a lot of traffic coming off nearby motorways still travelling at very high speeds) and some town-centre riding. It took me about 1¼ hours each way but I needed time at the other end to park the bike, pack/unpack and wash and change.

The public transport commute was very unreliable. For a few years, it was a private-hire contracted works coach (after an office relocation) which for me meant a 2½ mile walk to the pick-up point but the bus company used their worst buses and gave it their lowest priority, it seems, with buses often turning up very late, not turning up at all or breaking down en-route. When the works bus was discontinued, it meant either a two bus journey or one bus and a 2½ mile walk. The problem was that the bus company operating the main part of the journey was the same one contracted for the works bus and reliability wasn't much better. This journey would be about an hour on a really good day, 1½ - 2 hours on a normal day and up to 3 hours on a really bad day.

My biggest problem with the bike commute is that I had an early start and I'm very much a night owl not an early bird. My body clock never adjusted properly and I found it really difficult to get on the bike when all I wanted to do was get back into bed. On the bus, I used to sleep a lot - often getting about a third to half of my total daily sleep on the bus.

My two jobs previous to the last one were both approximations of a 2PM-10PM shift but were a lot closer to home and I had no problem with cycling to get to either of them and usually did all weather, all times of the year.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
The ONS reports show 70% of car journeys are less than 5 miles. They are the journeys perfect for a bike or walking, but too many just default to the car.

Interesting.
I walked the 5 miles home recently when my car broke down at work. Started off as I'll walk to bus station, oh there's a half hour wait. I'll walk halfway, oh actually I may as well walk the rest.
Only took hour and half. Alot of my runner mates do that distance in a third of that time too. I wonder how many running forums have a commuting section, I must admit I don't know anyone who runs to work.

Top Bottom