Cycling vs train: pros and cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Money
I hate wasting money going to work when bus or car only saves About 10 minutes

I say to people at work , would you pay 7 quid to save 10 minutes to which there is a silence
Truth is, not many people have ever sat down to consider the true costs of motoring. Other's only look at the cost of fuel. There is a whole host of hidden costs, (poor health, air quality, taxation and spending on roads etc etc). Truth is, most people don't think. Full stop.

united4ever

Über Member
for me the tram is overcrowded - standing room only with not much personal space so not much good for watching a movie or reading in comfort. plus people sniffing and sneezing all around. plus the cost. bike wins on almost every criteria.

al78

Guru
I can't actually think of a single benefit of the train.

I'm sure you can if you can be bothered to think about it. Some immediate ones come to mind:

1. Sitting on a train is more pleasant in poor weather conditions.
2. Using a train saves on personal energy, meaning no danger of feeling wiped out after a 30+ mile round trip.
3. Using a train is safer in icy conditions.
4. Using a train is quicker (much of the time).
5. Using a train means less dealing with smart-phone-dumb-users.
6. A train is feasible for some journeys that are impractical by bicycle.

YMMV, a lot depends on how good your local rail services are.

al78

Guru
Truth is, not many people have ever sat down to consider the true costs of motoring. Other's only look at the cost of fuel. There is a whole host of hidden costs, (poor health, air quality, taxation and spending on roads etc etc). Truth is, most people don't think. Full stop.

Well yes, people don't think about costs of driving that are outside the field of vision, or externalised, any more than people think about the environmental costs of flying abroad on holiday, or eating a nice juicy steak.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well yes, people don't think about costs of driving that are outside the field of vision, or externalised, any more than people think about the environmental costs of flying abroad on holiday, or eating a nice juicy steak.
Bought half a cow for less than £40. Steak an all.

Svendo

Guru
I commute by bike all year round through snow and ice and sun(?!). 9-20miles depending on time and weather. I drive in maybe twice a year on average due to illness or other commitments.
When I did use the bus/train as I’d broken my arm I did have time to read a lot more than I otherwise do. I also got fat and grumpy.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm sure you can if you can be bothered to think about it. Some immediate ones come to mind:

1. Sitting on a train is more pleasant in poor weather conditions.
2. Using a train saves on personal energy, meaning no danger of feeling wiped out after a 30+ mile round trip.
3. Using a train is safer in icy conditions.
4. Using a train is quicker (much of the time).
5. Using a train means less dealing with smart-phone-dumb-users.
6. A train is feasible for some journeys that are impractical by bicycle.

YMMV, a lot depends on how good your local rail services are.

It takes me 45 mins to walk to the nearest station. Plus of course I will need to get there a few minutes early so I do not miss the train. It then takes 35 minutes the other end to walk to place of work. I can cycle from home to work in 45 mins. Using the train would take significantly longer all of the time.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Train can be convenient and quicker for me but its expensive and the service is god awful. I bring you Scotrail run by a Dutch company Abellio who are totally screwing the life out of the service....... Hence its an absolute last resort to get the train and I mean the last resort !!!!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Pros.....
1. Train is warm and dry.

Cons......
1. Train only runs once per hour from my local station.
2. It costs more than cycling.
3. Work is only 1 mile from home, so to take a train would involve over-shooting work by about 3 miles and having to backtrack. Which I suppose makes it a bit of a no-brainer!

al78

Guru

That is right, people don't look at externalised costs, they only see tangible costs, because that is what is in their field of vision. It is common to all aspects of living, not just transport. People don't think about the externalised costs when they buy cheap clothes from supermarkets (how do you think they can sell clothes that cheap if someone else somewhere isn't chipping in).

al78

Guru
Assuming we are talking about journeys where both modes of transport are practical:

Pros of train: faster if the journey is direct, more comfortable outside rush-hour with rammed full trains, conserves personal energy and effort to do other things.
Cons of train: Can be slower on certain journeys which require changing trains and are indirect (e.g. Horsham to Haywards Heath). Disruption can make the journey frustrating. Some members of the public are thoughtless knob heads.

Pros of cycling: Exercise, fresh air; little cost; door to door; sometimes feel good after the ride.
Cons of cycling: Vulnerability extenalised onto me by motor vehicles; a grind in poor weather or constant headwind; often takes longer; sodding traffic lights that go amber-red when I am 50 meters away, then have a bloody long red phase by which time I have a convoy behind me that all must overtake the cyclist before the next light goes red; sometimes have an energy slump afterwards from double figure mileage.

If I use train, I put on jeans, top, jacket, and go. Oh yeah, and take headphones. Enjoy a movie or audiobook.

If I use bike, well, there's a whole bunch of stuff that needs to be done. Layer up for clothes to get there, have different set of clothes for return journey, shower at end of journey. Find gloves, need hat, ensure lights are charged. Even if this is done the night before (which it isn't), it's still something that needs to be done. And sometimes, doing all that can become a real flamin' chore.

Benefit of cycling is I get exercise. But to me there is no other benefit. But I don't get any elevated feelings of "wow I feel so set up and ready for work after a nice bike ride" because quite frankly, I don't. I enjoy my work enough that I don't need any exercise in the morning to "set me up for the day".

So what are your pros and cons for cycling vs whatever your alternative transport is?

Most commuter cyclists enjoy the exercise and fresh air. The duration of a cycle commute is always the same +-30seconds, if you invest in quality commuting tyres.
My London commute used to take 50mins -+ 20 mins by underground and 50mins +- 30 secs by bike.
Cyclists can stop off at the supermarket, load up panniers with some midweek essentials and be on their way with minimal disruption.

It is true that cyclists like to shower. Drivers and train passengers never need to waste time showering, ever. At the end of a crowded commuter journey in a heatwave, with delays, most rail passengers are relaxed and fresh as a daisy.

Personally, I shower in the morning, ride 5 miles to work at a steady pace without sweat and head to my desk without the need for any cool down.

Reactions: mjr
Train is marginally faster for me (we bought this house based on it's proximity to the station). Service is regular but still standing room only at peak periods. Train has had extended periods of being unreliable (part of why I moved to cycling). Cycling is less expensive, more fun & better for body & mind.

Top Bottom