Cycling/Walking paths.....right or left side??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I enjoyed a 22 miler on the Penine Way yesterday (Warrington-Manchester direction). Beautiful hot week-end so I expected lots of walkers/cyclists (and got them).
Now, to me, it seems logical that everyone should stay left when facing on-coming cyclist (or walkers). I was amazed how many on-coming cyclist were cycling on their right and expecting me to move over.
Now I am not 'bolshy' and simply 'sticking to my rights'.....it's more a question of common sense-everyone on the left avoids any chance of mishaps.

There were also lots of pairs & groups that mostly went single file when they were on-coming but I was gob-smacked when (twice) couples stayed 2 abreast and expected me to dismount or go onto the rough verge so (I assume) they could continue their conversation.

Just wondering if others have similar experiences........or am I just wrong??

Yeah I try to keep left when I can,Pedestrians can be a pain
they'll be on one side of the path on hearing you approaching
they'll move to the other side of the path right in front of you :cursing:

There's a shared cycle lane near me with a demarcation line
and cycles painted on the cycle side
Where do all the peds walk.......................................on the cycle side of course

Numptys :evil:

I just go with the flow and react to what the other person is doing particularly as they may be on the right for reasons of being more comfortable on that line. So left is default but if the other person approaching is on the right go right - but do it early otherwise you can have the dance of death where as you go right they go left and then you both correct yourselves repeatedly until you hit.

For pedestrians the same and if you can go round them do even if it does involve a rough verge - that's what mountain bikes are for! Otherwise I just stop where I am on the track and wait for them to have to walk round me (to deal with the won't give way on two abreast problem) or if I am coming up behind them, an excuse me, do you think I could come through polite request.

At all times though keep it courteous and pleasant even if you are tempted otherwise.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
On a certain shared cycle way near me, at the weekend it is full of dog-walkers, joggers and young families. Around half are smart and keep to the left, and keep their dogs on a leash etc. The other half are totally oblivious to any other traffic, and walk 3 or 4 abreast, blocking the entire path (there are woods on either side so you can't go around them). Even worse is when this happens and they are coming the opposite way, can clearly see you but don't even move over. This is the only situation where I use my bell (!), but it does little to attract their attention. It is clear to me that people need to keep to the left, just like a road. Then if you hear a bell you can naturally keep in to the left, rather than what most people choose to do which is to turn around, see a bike, and keep walking as they are!

MrB1obby

I generally keep to the left which I also expect other cyclists to do the same, however this isn't always the case so if they're on their right I'll move over to my right very early to avoid the left right left right situation. With peds I don't expect them to be either left or right unless there is a line split down the middle of the shared path, however even then it doesn't really bother me, I just accommodate to them as it's simply easier.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
WE CYCLE ON THE LEFT! Friday I went on a 45 miler and had 3 near misses with cyclists not going on the left of the cycle lane.
First one, the guy was on a phone and looked up to veer into a bush to avoid me. I said "Get on the left" and he said something back which I couldnt understand.
Second, the cycle lane was in the middle of a path and weaved in and out of lamposts (very bad design). Cyclist coming towards me, I stay on the left, plenty of time for him to move over, but he stays on the right and I have to swerve around him.
Lastly, and the worst. Just before the second cyclist, I am on a more open section and cycling down the center of the cycle lane. See a cyclist approaching so move right over to the left of the lane. I am doing about 22mph as there are few pedestrians about. He is out of the saddle and leaning to one side, he is also on a direct course for me. I expect him to move over at some point but he is dedicated to colliding with me. In the end it is an EXTREMELY near miss and I actually have to stop to calm down (I shout absolutely everything at the guy but he doesnt even bother to turn around).

A cyclist can be just as much of a knob as a motorist.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
On a certain shared cycle way near me, at the weekend it is full of dog-walkers, joggers and young families. Around half are smart and keep to the left, and keep their dogs on a leash etc. The other half are totally oblivious to any other traffic, and walk 3 or 4 abreast, blocking the entire path (there are woods on either side so you can't go around them). Even worse is when this happens and they are coming the opposite way, can clearly see you but don't even move over. This is the only situation where I use my bell (!), but it does little to attract their attention. It is clear to me that people need to keep to the left, just like a road. Then if you hear a bell you can naturally keep in to the left, rather than what most people choose to do which is to turn around, see a bike, and keep walking as they are!
Thats why I have an airzound. If people wont move out of the way when I kindly say "Excuse me" then I will just scare them into getting out of the way.
I have noticed that dog owners are actually okay on shared use paths as they will go and grab their dog until I have passed. They are always met with either a "cheers" or "thanks" as I speed past them at 20mph.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I have noticed that dog owners are actually okay on shared use paths as they will go and grab their dog until I have passed. They are always met with either a "cheers" or "thanks" as I speed past them at 20mph.
I have to say that if I was on walking on a SHARED path and a cyclist shot past me at 20mph, I'd be saying something completely different...

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have to say that if I was on walking on a SHARED path and a cyclist shot past me at 20mph, I'd be saying something completely different...
Well I obviously make sure that the person has seen me, got hold of their dog, and smiled at me. Other than that then I can understand your point. I wouldnt just go taring down the path without a care in the world.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I cycle on the left, but sometimes despair at pedestrians, especially those with MP3 players (joggers - take note!!). On on occasion, I was cycling uphill on the Bristol Railway Path and came up behind two guys and a woman. Rang my bell, slowed down, moved to the right as they were right across the path. Two blokes moved left, woman kept walking on in centre of path. Her mate stuck his hand out to grab her shoulder and she shrugged him a way, moving back into centre of path. By this time, I was practically trackstanding behind her when she looked over her shoulder and almost jumped at someone being so close behind her:blush:. But it's what she said that made me smile:

Me: Hello:smile:

Woman: Oh, sorry, sorry.. I'm not awake !.

I have observed that there is an increased tendency for people to engage in the 'aimless wander' routine on cyclepaths, even the ones clearly marked. Here's me cycling through Bristol:

Excuse me gents @ 0:34 and he's behind you @ 1:47:blush:

The solution?...blue paint?. I'm not advocating any more advertising for Barclays, but blue does stand out quite a bit, don't you think?.

Top Bottom