Cycling & Weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Control weight with diet.
Control fitness with exercise.

Overly-simplistic, and obviously exercise will boost weight loss, but it's all about looking at the situation as a whole, rather than thinking about the various components in isolation.

Like you, my biggest nemesis is the booze. Since starting cycling, I've lost around 2.5 stone, but I've now reached the stage where I've pretty much plateau'd. I eat pretty well, but I'm over-fond of a few beers at the weekend and it's all dead calories. I eat well/healthily for the majority of the time, but there comes a point where you have to decide where your priorities lie. Losing weight is an endurance event: If you want to do it, you have to be prepared to be hungry!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I generally am under my 1500 cals a day and not always eating back my exercise cals
1500 is extremely low for an adult male. It's not much more than the average women's intake. That sounds as if you didn't fill in your profile honestly on MFP.

Be wary of this - if you're doing lots of exercise, you need to make sure you consume enough calories to provide the energy to keep you going. Don't let yourself go hungry.

The thing about alcohol is that it's "empty" calories - you should count it "below the line", ie not as part of your daily 1500 target (if you're using myfitnesspal, that 1500 will already factor in the daily net calorie deficit you need to meet your weight loss target, so going under is extra deficit).

However, it's also worth bearing in mind that myfitnesspal does tend to overestimate the number of calories burned in cycling...
d.
There is a lot of sense in this post :cheers:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
1500 is extremely low for an adult male. It's not much more than the average women's intake.
It's actually about 500 Cals/day less than what an 'average' woman should be taking in!

Clarification (given that the 'average' man/woman in the UK is probably overweight these days) - I'm talking about the number of Calories that a woman of average height and build would need to stay the same weight if she had a fairly sedentary lifestyle and wasn't overweight to start with.

Thomk

Guru
Diet, calories, booze, intake, weekends etc etc etc. It's all pretty much a smokescreen hiding the elephant in the room (excuse the pun). You need to live the life of a thin person not pretend to copy it. Make your life require exersise (bicycle commute, walk, run, sell your car) and not 3 times a week for 30 minutes but every day. If booze is still part of your lifestyle then you've made your choice, it's yours to make. People used to be thinner because their normal everyday diet was better and their life REQUIRED far more exersise. Forget the gym. It's not having a bookcase which makes you smart but reading books.

PurplePoodle

I'm an all or nothing kind of person.. I'm either a pig or I'm 100% healthy. I'm back to being 100% healthy and I won't even let myself have a tiny bit of chocolate because I know I will just think 'O another won't do any harm...' and so on. I did say I was going to treat myself to an egg on Sunday but I don't know if I can do it! Also my birthday next week so the temptation of cake and a take away

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Why not just have your five pints on the Friday, kebab on the way home, puke it all up on the neighbours patio.

It's win-win. Particularly if your neighbour's a turd.

:laugh:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There is no complicated science to why we put on weight.
As you well know, that isn't true. There's plenty of complex psychology and physiology involved in weight gain and loss, even if it ultimately comes down to the energy equation.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Diet, calories, booze, intake, weekends etc etc etc. It's all pretty much a smokescreen hiding the elephant in the room (excuse the pun). You need to live the life of a thin person not pretend to copy it. Make your life require exersise (bicycle commute, walk, run, sell your car) and not 3 times a week for 30 minutes but every day. If booze is still part of your lifestyle then you've made your choice, it's yours to make. People used to be thinner because their normal everyday diet was better and their life REQUIRED far more exersise. Forget the gym. It's not having a bookcase which makes you smart but reading books.
I'm in danger of repeating my sig quote....

It's perfectly possible to live the life of a thin person and remain overweight. Losing weight requires more than just that.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
1500 is extremely low for an adult male. It's not much more than the average women's intake. That sounds as if you didn't fill in your profile honestly on MFP.

I am 5' 8" and weighed 205lbs, I commute 10.5 round trip 5 days a week taking me 55 mins each day, I have a Sedentary job and the 1490 is what MFP gave me to burn 1.5lbs a week. I eat pretty well and eat back roughly 50% of my burnt cals. I did fill my profile honestly.

Why not just have your five pints on the Friday, kebab on the way home, puke it all up on the neighbours patio.

It's win-win. Particularly if your neighbour's a turd.

This sounds like a plan...

amaferanga

Veteran
I am 5' 8" and weighed 205lbs, I commute 10.5 round trip 5 days a week taking me 55 mins each day, I have a Sedentary job and the 1490 is what MFP gave me to burn 1.5lbs a week. I eat pretty well and eat back roughly 50% of my burnt cals. I did fill my profile honestly.

This sounds like a plan...

How many kCal do you assume you burn on your 55min commute?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I'm having trouble shifting the last persistent belly fat. Fat is coming off of everywhere else, even my hands! But refuses to go from around the middle.

Beer is the worst thing. I seem to find white wine effects me less, but I really aught to cut that out as well! Fiancée is a bad influence tho, literally holding me down and making me drink a bottle on a Friday night! :eek:

Still, I've lost about 2 stone 5lb, 4 inches around my waist, 2 inches off my neck.

Yesterday I carried the 3 year old and realised that i was carrying about as much weight as I'd lost! I don't know how I was even moving around!

Top Bottom