Cycling whilst fasting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
As it's the month of Ramadan, I'm fasting, which means no food or drink during daylight hours (approx 5am to 7:30pm). My daily commute is a 13-mile round trip with one or 2 minor hills but nothing excessive.

Intuitively, I'd think it's probably dangerous healthwise to do this distance by bike without being able to re-hydrate? If I did try it (some might say don't even entertain the idea), what sort of food should I eat before the fast starts? I'm guessing porridge and the like...

Cheers.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
A big bowl of porridge with a banana and honey does it for me.

What time do you start your commute? Are you not allowed water? (forgive my ignorance).
No. Unfortunately no water either. I start my commute at around 8:15am after dropping my daughter off at school. Wish I could leave home a lot earlier, but it's not possible.

wafflycat

See how it goes - a day at a time. Ideally you should at least keep hydrated. So perhaps making sure you have a big low GI meal and plenty to drink *before* the hours of fasting start might help.

IIRC - and you can tell me if I'm wrong (as I'm not Muslim), if you are ill you don't have to fast? So if you find yourself suffering too much, you actually allowed to take some food & water?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
wafflycat said:
IIRC - and you can tell me if I'm wrong (as I'm not Muslim), if you are ill you don't have to fast? So if you find yourself suffering too much, you actually allowed to take some food & water?

Any days missed through illness/nursing the sick/travelling will have to be made up later. I did think about the 'no fasting for travellers' but does a 13 mile commute constitute 'travelling'?

Maz - Ramadan Mubarak to you and all your family

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
not eating and riding 6.5 miles sounds like a disaster waiting to happen tbh

Not sure its in any way safe. Not so much for the journey there but the journey home.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
wafflycat said:
That's true, but unfortunately, I doubt a self-inflicted 'illness' brought about by cycling would be reason enough to break the fast. I think it only applies to genuine illness (flu, virus etc).

Ramadan Mubarak, Maz.

Last year we suggested alternating, didn't we? Cycling to work and taking public transport home, taking transport to work the next day and cycling home.

It looks like this year your circumstances have changed. Perhaps you could forego the cycling for Ramadan and offer that up as part of your fast too?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
Ramadan Mubarak, Maz.

Last year we suggested alternating, didn't we? Cycling to work and taking public transport home, taking transport to work the next day and cycling home.

It looks like this year your circumstances have changed. Perhaps you could forego the cycling for Ramadan and offer that up as part of your fast too?
That's right. Situation's changed a bit - the commute wasn't quite as long. Also, this year the whole of Ramadan falls within BST, so the days are longer, too (warmer, thirstier).

Giving up cycling as part of my fast...now there's a novel idea...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I wouldn't have thought commuting 6.5 miles each way would be a problem. After all, someone with a job involving manual labour isn't going to be able to take a month off work, and the amount of work done cycling will be relatively small by comparison.
Take it relatively easy to stay in the "fat burning" zone, at least at first.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Until next week I am in Egypt and haven't even considered cycling since the start of Ramadan. However, I am back in the UK next week. My first week back, I am working nights so cycling won't be an issue until I am on early turns the week after.

I managed it last year without any major problems. Also remember Maz that you are allowed to wet your mouth (gargle) etc, as long as you don't swallow.

Top Bottom