Cycling with 1 yr old in cambridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Amom

Thanks everyone for your valuable replies. It did make us a lot more relaxed and postive about cycling with a child. We have now decided to buy a Solo trailer (hopefully an inexpensive one) and a child seat with recline feature. That way, I can use the child seat for regular use and keep the trailer for those wet/cold days.

Thanks once again
- A mom

Arch

Married to Night Train
Freewheeler said:
Has anyone with a trailer been concerned about vehicles pulling into it from a side street? Is this something that has ever happened to you?

I've never carried a child in a trailer, but I've used cargo trailers of various sorts and never had that problem, or the fear of it. To be honest, I think you'd be past so fast that if a driver was thinking of pulling out soon enough to hit your trailer, he'd probably be pulling out too soon and hit you. I bet not many drivers could judge it to pull out less than 3 or 4 feet behind you, if you see what I mean.

My boss has a 7 or 8 foot long cargo trailer and I don't think it's ever come close to happening to him either...

Cab

Gosh, can't believe I missed this thread.

There are a lot of kiddie trailers on the road here, and my observation has always been that they're given plenty more space than other cyclists. The problem with getting them across some of the parks is valid, but I see plenty navigating their way through the gates on Midsummer Common, Jesus Green and down on the Fen.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
What I don't understand is how come a car driver doesn't see big bloke on a bike all dressed up in orange and yellow - at at least the same height as the car itself but they will manage to see a low down trailor no problems!

Is it really just because it is more unusual?

I always want to test this theory out by dressing up in a big bunny costume and going out on a busy road on my bike and seeing if people really will give me more room!!

Top Bottom