Cycling with a Child in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by johnny, 22 Oct 2007.

1. johnny

johnny New Member

Hi,

I am off to see my Nephew next week (he's nearly four) and I am hoping to be able to go out for a little cycle with the wee man (he loves his bike). But I am a bit stumped about where to go. My sister lives near the Meadows so really that makes most sense but was also think about Holyrood Park (but is that a bit too hilly?). Also for how long is it realistic to pootle around for before his legs fall off? The other idea was to hire a tagalong and hitch it up to my mtb and head out of town a bit instead? Suggestions please?

Cheers
    Johnny

2. gavintc

gavintc Guru

The meadows are close to the canal at Fountainbridge - a cracking ride out to the big aquaduct at Slateford - flat and lots to see without the hassle of traffic.

3. purpleR

purpleR Senior Member

If you get on to the Innocent Railway path through Holyrood park it's a nice gentle ride and a good way to get to Portobello prom (and beach :rolleyes:). It's very slightly downhill so not sure how a 4 year old's legs will be on the way back though.
    Other than this, and the Union Canal suggestion from Gavin, there's not a lot of scope for cycling with a four year old.
    A few times round the Meadows will definitely start you off as a training run - and there is a great play park for when he gets bored....
    Have fun!

4. OP
    OP
    johnny

johnny New Member

Cheers for the suggestions. I think heading down to Portobello is a good idea, though probably getting my sister to meet us there rather than cycling back might save some tantrums and I think he'd be excited by the idea of cycling to the beach.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice