Cycling with a Child in Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny

Hi,

I am off to see my Nephew next week (he's nearly four) and I am hoping to be able to go out for a little cycle with the wee man (he loves his bike). But I am a bit stumped about where to go. My sister lives near the Meadows so really that makes most sense but was also think about Holyrood Park (but is that a bit too hilly?). Also for how long is it realistic to pootle around for before his legs fall off? The other idea was to hire a tagalong and hitch it up to my mtb and head out of town a bit instead? Suggestions please?

Cheers
Johnny

gavintc

Guru
The meadows are close to the canal at Fountainbridge - a cracking ride out to the big aquaduct at Slateford - flat and lots to see without the hassle of traffic.

purpleR

Guru
If you get on to the Innocent Railway path through Holyrood park it's a nice gentle ride and a good way to get to Portobello prom (and beach :rolleyes:). It's very slightly downhill so not sure how a 4 year old's legs will be on the way back though.
Other than this, and the Union Canal suggestion from Gavin, there's not a lot of scope for cycling with a four year old.
A few times round the Meadows will definitely start you off as a training run - and there is a great play park for when he gets bored....
Have fun!

OP
OP
J

johnny

Cheers for the suggestions. I think heading down to Portobello is a good idea, though probably getting my sister to meet us there rather than cycling back might save some tantrums and I think he'd be excited by the idea of cycling to the beach.

Top Bottom