Cycling with a compact chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Just stay out of 50x30 (and at the other end 34x11) and you'll be fine
Thanks, that makes it much easier to handle

choplee

i'm running 52/36 compact with 11/28 cassette .... not had much experience with the full compact ,as i've always been a 53/39 or 52/39 old skool guy with 12/23 cassette,but legs getting old and hills seem to be getting steeper ..:cycle:

kloeshuman

I have always had a triple front myself. But from all of the doubles I have tried, if the gear spacing is right in the back you still get the full range of gears. I run 52/42/30 up front and 11-26 in the rear. I have never found a reason yet to get into the 30/26 combo. I can normally use 42/23 for big hills or even 42/17. Not much help I know....given the choice of gears you have I would run 34/17 or 34/21 on hills that are killers

SWSteve

Guru
Also running a compact with 50/34, however I have a 27-12 rear.

I've also thought about dropping to a 48 chainring on the front to give myself greater use of the cassette as I would say I only really use the big 5/6, and this is still mainly the big 4.

Is changing a Chainring an arduous task?

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Also running a compact with 50/34, however I have a 27-12 rear.

I've also thought about dropping to a 48 chainring on the front to give myself greater use of the cassette as I would say I only really use the big 5/6, and this is still mainly the big 4.

Is changing a Chainring an arduous task?
As long as you get a cmpatible ring and have the right tools - easy peasy

double_dd

Über Member
Small ring to large ring = drop two gears

Large ring to small ring = increase two gears

I always do this and seems smooth. In running 54/30 11/28

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
For the weight-saving of a compact versus a triple, which entails carrying around an extra few grammes (1 ring at the front minus not needing the bigger rings at the back for the horribills on a compact) and the need to double shift down - down on one side and up one or two on the other - I'm gradually becoming a triple fan rather than a compact faddist.

videoman

Guru
Thats why I have recently purchased a bike with a triple rather than a compact being old with dodgy knees although manufacturers are not selling many new bikes with a triple fitted.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
My bike is new, so I don't want to spend money on changing the chainset. In fact I am enjoying the compact, I just wasn't sure of the technicalities of using it.

Top Bottom