Cycling with a DSLR camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Railfanben

Regular
Hi everyone. Could anyone advise me on the safest way to carry a DSLR camera while cycling on a road bike. Recently fitted a pannier rack & panniers but a bit concerned that the vibration & bumps might damage the camera. Was going to line the one pannier with foam to accommodate the camera. Many thanks

Joffey

Big Dosser
The cool kids have it on some kind of sling that attaches it to your back.

No on the bike. Sling bag as you ride.

1648644798272.png

In case you want shoot along the way - 3 straps.
1648644681420.png

delb0y

Legendary Member
I've always put mine in the pannier, just on its own. It still works...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’ve used this LowePro sling bag, which has a stabilising strap so works well on a bike. I’ve carried a reasonably meaty DSLR (Nikon D850) plus an F2.8 70-200mm lens plus bits for 25-30 miles with no real problems. It’s quite old though so not sure if they still make it or something similar.

These are really bad photos but I was in a hurry! :blush:
1BD87A5D-6C99-4F06-813A-A7EE90658C68.jpeg
FB705B77-C8CC-4322-BB23-1522752AD887.jpeg
28E7EA02-3D89-4938-8132-ADA6F402EB2F.jpeg

hoopdriver

Guru
I’ve used this LowePro sling bag, which has a stabilising strap so works well on a bike. I’ve carried a reasonably meaty DSLR (Nikon D850) plus an F2.8 70-200mm lens plus bits for 25-30 miles with no real problems. It’s quite old though so not sure if they still make it or something similar.

These are really bad photos but I was in a hurry! :blush:
View attachment 637818 View attachment 637819 View attachment 637820
THat's quite a meaty camera/lens combination! I have a friend that shoots with a Nikon 850 and he swears its like shooting medium format. I use a Canon 5D4 myself, but I am looking at going mirrorless and picking up the Canon R5 - they are supposedly going to be releasing a 90MP version for landscape/studio photographers later this year.

I like the LowePro Flipside because the opening to the bag is on the part that is next to your back. So you can lay the bag down on the ground, mud, whatever, zip it open to access everything, but when you put it back on again the clean side will be against you, so your your jersey doesn't get dirty. It is a well padded bag and the 500 series is big enough so that I ccan carry my DSLR, a 70-200 f2.8, a 17-40 f4, three hefty Zeiss primes (21, 35 and 50) as well as the usual other accoutrements one needs. In a side pocket, secured with straps, i have my tripod, a fairly lightweigh carbon fibe Gitzo Traveller. It makes for a heavy pack but 've ridden as much as 60 miles with it - although usually mu rides are more like 20-30 miles.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
THat's quite a meaty camera/lens combination! I have a friend that shoots with a Nikon 850 and he swears its like shooting medium format. I use a Canon 5D4 myself, but I am looking at going mirrorless and picking up the Canon R5 - they are supposedly going to be releasing a 90MP version for landscape/studio photographers later this year.

I like the LowePro Flipside because the opening to the bag is on the part that is next to your back. So you can lay the bag down on the ground, mud, whatever, zip it open to access everything, but when you put it back on again the clean side will be against you, so your your jersey doesn't get dirty. It is a well padded bag and the 500 series is big enough so that I ccan carry my DSLR, a 70-200 f2.8, a 17-40 f4, three hefty Zeiss primes (21, 35 and 50) as well as the usual other accoutrements one needs. In a side pocket, secured with straps, i have my tripod, a fairly lightweigh carbon fibe Gitzo Traveller. It makes for a heavy pack but 've ridden as much as 60 miles with it - although usually mu rides are more like 20-30 miles.
I'm not sure what I'd be more afraid of there - the weight or the cost!

I do have a 2nd hand Sigma 500mm F4 that comes with its own rucksack. I've never even thought about trying to carry that on the bike!

I have carried my Pentax K10 D and small lens inside my front. I have carried my camera bag and camera slung over my back at times but the bag swings round to one side whilst I'm riding . I'm not keen on carrying things on my back in case I came off or went over the bars. I also don't like things behind me if they fell off I might not notice . The idea of something slung on the horizontal crossbar sounds better, it was how I carried my satchel to school .

You need to protect the camera against vibration and impact. You can get padded camera cases for whatever lens size is fitted. Alt you can make an insert for your pannier i would use corrugated plastic ( glued, rivetted or plastic bolted) lined with foam or bubble wrap. For Sale signs are useful stock matetial. This is how Carradice bar bags are constructed.

Top Bottom