Cycling with DVT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MilkRace

I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has, or has had DVT and what, if any, impact this had on their cycling, both short term and long term. I'm not after a diagnosis, been there, got that or advice on treatment, just personal experiences. Thanks

I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has, or has had DVT and what, if any, impact this had on their cycling, both short term and long term. I'm not after a diagnosis, been there, got that or advice on treatment, just personal experiences. Thanks

I had a P.E. first about six years ago then a DVT in left leg a couple of years later. Obviously now on thinners for life but it hasn't affected my cycling one iota.

Just remember to carry your alert card should you be in an accident, don't know what you are on but the ones I am on have no reversal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't get me started on that subject again! :laugh:

@MilkRace - I was seriously done in by a DVT in my left leg in 2012. In my case it wasn't caught in time, the clot broke up and got swept 'upstream' through my heart and it then lodged in my pulmonary artery causing a near fatal blockage - a pulmonary embolism (PE). I survived that but had a relapse in 2013. I not only ended up with a damaged leg, I also have residual lung damage.

If you were fortunate enough to 'just' have the DVT then presumably it is only a leg that you have to worry about? (I'm assuming that the DVT WAS in a leg? They can occur elsewhere, but most of the time it is in legs.)

DVTs are often in a calf, but mine was caused by overtight trousers so it was higher up, in my left inner thigh.

The blockage caused a pressure build-up in the leg which damaged the little non-return valves in the veins. They don't heal and they are too delicate to repair so once wrecked they tend to stay wrecked. As a result, my left leg has developed some varicose veins and swells up if I stand around for long. Fortunately, if I move around then the pumping action of the muscles keeps the blood flowing and my leg feels ok. I took a year to build my fitness back up but after that I could cycle or walk long distances again.

I have to elevate my leg when sitting still or it starts to swell. That makes sitting at a desk or table very uncomfortable after a while. I find that wearing a compression sock or sleeve on the left calf keeps the swelling under control. I sometimes wear them when cycling, not because I need them on the bike, but they help at cafe stops or when travelling to or from distant rides.

I used to wear leg warmers which have elastication exactly where the clot was in my thigh. There is scar tissue in the vein there which probably is what caused my second clot. I therefore don't like wearing anything tight round my thighs any more because I don't want to risk a third clot. (When you have had one DVT you are at increased risk of getting another one because the scar tissue can start localised clotting.) Apart from which, it is bloody uncomfortable.

So, to sum up - no long term effect on my legs for cycling. Long term damage is annoying off the bike. Be vigilant for future clots.

If you also had a PE, I could tell you a lot about that experience! (Summarise as - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!)

PS Oh, the other factor related to cycling is that I am on anticoagulants (warfarin) for life. That doesn't stop me riding, but it does mean that I would be at greater risk from heavy bleeding after a serious accident. I always wear a medical dog tag round my neck to alert paramedics to that fact in case I am ever injured and unable to tell them myself.

@MilkRace - I was seriously done in by a DVT in my left leg in 2012. In my case it wasn't caught in time, the clot broke up and got swept 'upstream' through my heart and it then lodged in my pulmonary artery causing a near fatal blockage - a pulmonary embolism (PE). I survived that but had a relapse in 2013. I not only ended up with a damaged leg, I also have residual lung damage.

If you were fortunate enough to 'just' have the DVT then presumably it is only a leg that you have to worry about? (I'm assuming that the DVT WAS in a leg? They can occur elsewhere, but most of the time it is in legs.)

DVTs are often in a calf, but mine was caused by overtight trousers so it was higher up, in my left inner thigh.

The blockage caused a pressure build-up in the leg which damaged the little non-return valves in the veins. They don't heal and they are too delicate to repair so once wrecked they tend to stay wrecked. As a result, my left leg has developed some varicose veins and swells up if I stand around for long. Fortunately, if I move around then the pumping action of the muscles keeps the blood flowing and my leg feels ok. I took a year to build my fitness back up but after that I could cycle or walk long distances again.

I have to elevate my leg when sitting still or it starts to swell. That makes sitting at a desk or table very uncomfortable after a while. I find that wearing a compression sock or sleeve on the left calf keeps the swelling under control. I sometimes wear them when cycling, not because I need them on the bike, but they help at cafe stops or when travelling to or from distant rides.

I used to wear leg warmers which have elastication exactly where the clot was in my thigh. There is scar tissue in the vein there which probably is what caused my second clot. I therefore don't like wearing anything tight round my thighs any more because I don't want to risk a third clot. (When you have had one DVT you are at increased risk of getting another one because the scar tissue can start localised clotting.) Apart from which, it is bloody uncomfortable.

So, to sum up - no long term effect on my legs for cycling. Long term damage is annoying off the bike. Be vigilant for future clots.

If you also had a PE, I could tell you a lot about that experience! (Summarise as - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!)

PS Oh, the other factor related to cycling is that I am on anticoagulants (warfarin) for life. That doesn't stop me riding, but it does mean that I would be at greater risk from heavy bleeding after a serious accident. I always wear a medical dog tag round my neck to alert paramedics to that fact in case I am ever injured and unable to tell them myself.

Must admit Colin when I had my PE I did not have a clue what it was, the pain was so intense at first I thought it was a heart attack.

Just a special mention at this point to the staff at my local A&E who without their knowledge and speedy work I doubt I would be typing this now. To make matters worse it was a Saturday night when I was rushed in and the sh-t the staff have to put up with from drunks etc doesn't bear thinking about.

ColinJ

Must admit Colin when I had my PE I did not have a clue what it was, the pain was so intense at first I thought it was a heart attack.

Just a special mention at this point to the staff at my local A&E who without their knowledge and speedy work I doubt I would be typing this now. To make matters worse it was a Saturday night when I was rushed in and the sh-t the staff have to put up with from drunks etc doesn't bear thinking about.
Horrible things!!!

One GP didn't pick up on mine at all. That (and my own stupid optimism - "Well, I think I am feeling a bit better today ...") led to a near-fatal delay in treatment. A subsequent GP immediately worked out what it was. Emergency admission to hospital, bypassing A&E!

A year later, the second PE came on. My sister drove me to her local hospital. I got to the reception desk and the woman there did the triage thing ('Go home', 'Join the queue', 'EMERGENCY!'). The conversation went something like this ...

Receptionist: Hello, how can I help you?

Me: Hi. Er, I think that I am becoming seriously ill with a pulmonary embolism.

Receptionist (clearly thinking 'Dr Google strikes again ...'): Oh, so you have medical training do you?

Me: No, but I do have a very vivid memory of almost dying of a pulmonary embolism a year ago and I have exactly the same symptoms now - extreme shortness of breath, heart racing for hours, alternating bouts of shivering and sweating, nausea, and feeling faint!

Receptionist: (Under breath - whoops ...) Please take a seat over there and I will make sure that you are seen very quickly!

Tested and admitted in less than 3 hours.

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Wow.....that is some epic horror story.....I trust all is well now, or at least as well as can be...?

I only got the bad news last week, and yes, it was calf pain that gave it away....just after another long haul flight too. Did a few rides with it before the diagnosis as I thought it was just a calf strain, and had no problems whilst on the bike.....ached like hell when I got off though. Thankfully my doctor was cautious and sent me for a scan which revealed the 21cm long blood clot.....quite a big one by all accounts...!

Now on thinners for at least 6 months....maybe longer who knows, but so far, so good. Pain has (almost) gone, and back on the bike, albeit a tad slower and for now at least, only moderate one hour(ish) sessions.

The "bleeding" bit is a bit of a worry.....but again....so far so good.

I guess the biology bit I kind of knew about. It's the psychological bit.....fear of the unknown, that I guess I'm slowly coming to terms with.

Staying positive is the key I suppose.....either that or take up crossword puzzles as a hobby.

ColinJ

... it was a Saturday night when I was rushed in and the sh-t the staff have to put up with from drunks etc doesn't bear thinking about.
On my A&E visit there were 2 young drunks who had broken bones in drunken antics. They were at least pretty cheerful.

What was funny was that one drunk was English and one was French. The French drunk was speaking to the English one in dodgy English and the English drunk was replying in dodgy French. If they had been sober they would have realised that they could both understand each other better if they had stuck to their native languages! :laugh:

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

I had a P.E. first about six years ago then a DVT in left leg a couple of years later. Obviously now on thinners for life but it hasn't affected my cycling one iota.

Just remember to carry your alert card should you be in an accident, don't know what you are on but the ones I am on have no reversal.
Don't have an alert card, or anything for that matter.....Just hoping the doctor thinks its "unnecessary" and not....'not worth it".....might ask next time I go for a check up. Thanks for the heads up.

ColinJ

Wow.....that is some epic horror story.....I trust all is well now, or at least as well as can be...?

I only got the bad news last week, and yes, it was calf pain that gave it away....just after another long haul flight too. Did a few rides with it before the diagnosis as I thought it was just a calf strain, and had no problems whilst on the bike.....ached like hell when I got off though. Thankfully my doctor was cautious and sent me for a scan which revealed the 21cm long blood clot.....quite a big one by all accounts...!

Now on thinners for at least 6 months....maybe longer who knows, but so far, so good. Pain has (almost) gone, and back on the bike, albeit a tad slower and for now at least, only moderate one hour(ish) sessions.

The "bleeding" bit is a bit of a worry.....but again....so far so good.

I guess the biology bit I kind of knew about. It's the psychological bit.....fear of the unknown, that I guess I'm slowly coming to terms with.

Staying positive is the key I suppose.....either that or take up crossword puzzles as a hobby.
Well, there is an epic thread describing my tribulations over an extended period but it might be better to avoid that ... :whistle: (If you are curious, just search for threads with DVT in the title and it will pop up!)

It's bloody lucky that your doctor was on the ball. It's bad enough having the b*st*rd clots in a leg, but having them in more important places is a nightmare.

I think I was on warfarin for 8 months the first time. I came off it but then clotted again about 3 months later. As I mentioned above, there is always an increased risk of clotting after the first time. It is a judgement call whether to take the risk of further clots or the bleeding risk of the anticoagulants. I definitely don't want to go through it again so I'll stick with the pills. I seem to get on fine with warfarin. It is only the bleeding risk in accidents that worries me about it now.

I understand exactly what you mean about the 'psychological bit'. If you do venture into my hugely long DVT thread, it will be fairly obvious that I became obsessed with clots! I think I was suffering from PTSD. One day one feels immortal and strong, the next one becomes very aware of how fragile health and fitness are.

I don't think I will ever feel 100% mentally ok again because the emotional trauma of it lingers on and there are lots of physical signs (swollen leg, scar tissue in chest, reduced lung power) to remind me if I do start to forget. Still, I have managed to get from about 1% mental health to 80+%, so I am not going to complain.

I actually do crossword puzzles for a hobby, preferably when relaxing after a decent bike ride! :okay:

There are quite a few of us on CC recovering from clots, so feel free to post on the subject again if you want to ask more questions or just unload the stress!

Good luck with your recovery.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
You’ll be fine! I had a DVT in the calf in 1988 at the age of 28 after a long haul flight. Undiagnosed for a while by which point it had spread through the knee and up to the thigh, so extremely lucky not to suffer ColinJ’s fate. Took about a year for the pain to subside.
Thirty years on and I never even think about it. Has no negative effects on my cycling that I’m aware of. Lack of talent, now that’s another issue!

Don't have an alert card, or anything for that matter.....Just hoping the doctor thinks its "unnecessary" and not....'not worth it".....might ask next time I go for a check up. Thanks for the heads up.

I just carry this, there is one in every packet of tablets I get.

patient-alert-card-to-be-carried-and-presented-to-physicians-and-dentists-GB50G0.jpg

ColinJ

Ah yes, I had to tell my dentist about the warfarin. They even want to know my latest INR** test results for hygiene appointments, presumably in case they cause gum bleeding.

People on the newer drugs such as Xarelto don't need regular blood tests. I was given the option of changing to one of them in 2013 but those drugs were fairly recently developed at the time. I decided to stick with warfarin because the medical profession had 60 years of experience with it.

**INR stands for International Normalised Ratio, a measure of how clotty/bleedy the blood is. It is used to make sure that the correct dose of warfarin is being taken. An average person has an INR of 1.0 (that is the 'normalised' part). Mine is supposed to be kept in the range 2.0 - 3.0, and I have regular blood tests to keep it there. It was 2.5 a couple of weeks ago. That means that an injury that would bleed for 10 minutes in an average person could bleed for 25 minutes in me. That wouldn't be too bad, but you can see how a nasty cut bleeding for 2.5 hours instead of 1.0 hour could be pretty serious!

PK99

Legendary Member
Milk Race.

One area where it will impact you is Travel Insurance.

On the other hand if you are negotiating an annuity it can work in your favour.

My insurer accepted my DVT and lifetime Rivaroxaban with no hassle. Policy linked to bank account

Unfortunately other non DVT related health issues mean I've been unable to cycle since the DVT in april 2017 so can't help on that score.

Top Bottom