Cycling with DVT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry about the momentary thread hijack but a couple of points:

1 - We need to know more about @ColinJ and these tight trousers that caused the original problem. They must have been damned tight - were you a rock star in your former life, Colin?

2 - You mention the reaction of the A&E receptionist when you arrived with a PE. I had exactly the same when I went to Urgent Care having fallen off and bust my clavicle, my cycling buddy who is a physician having confirmed it and a lump of bone end sticking out and my shoulder flopping unsupported. "Oh", says the nurse, her voice heavy with sarcasm. "So it's a broken collar bone? And you're medically qualified, are you?"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We need to know more about @ColinJ and these tight trousers that caused the original problem. They must have been damned tight - were you a rock star in your former life, Colin?
I wish! :whistle:

I was going on holiday and was in a bit of a rush so I put on the first pair of clean trousers that came to hand. They had fitted me perfectly when I weighed 85 kgs. Unfortunately, by then I had gone up to over 110 kgs! :eek:

I breathed in and somehow managed to get the trousers done up. They were really tight when I walked about, but the big problem came when I sat down. The tops of the trouser legs were acting as tourniquets on my thighs. Still, no time to waste - we had to be setting off.

My friend and I caught a train to Manchester, and then a coach to Birmingham where we met up with the rest of our party for a drive to Snowdonia. We all know about the risk of DVT on long haul flights (as illustrated by previous posters in this thread); well, I discovered that one can develop them at ground level too! My legs were numb by the time we arrived at our holiday cottage.

If the DVT had made itself obvious immediately then I probably would have realised what it was, but it was a bit more subtle than that and took its time to become a problem. It might be that it was actually caused by the drive/coach/train home a week later.

When I was hospitalised with my second PE, I was kept in overnight and saw a consultant the next day. He asked me if I had any idea what had caused the original DVT so I told him my story of travelling for many hours wearing tight trousers. At that moment, it struck me that he was as obese as I had been (big risk factor), was even taller than me (being above 6' tall is also a risk factor), AND was wearing tight trousers... He was obviously thinking along similar lines to me because he gave a nervous laugh and announced that he was going to go shopping for new trousers after work! :laugh:

mrneil

New to this forum!

I've suffered two DVTs in just over a year. WIll always be prone to them i guess!

First one was after a sportive in the UK and then a long haul flight the day after. Didnt realise for about a month or so, just thought i'd pulled my calf muscle!
Second time, when I went to A&E i had the same reaction - so you're a doctor are you? Nope, but i've measured my calf and remember the pain. An hour later, all but confirmed with blood tests. Ultrasound to confirm, and I could pinpoint where the clot was!

Took some time off after the first one, about 3/4 months. Not as long after this one.
I've ordered a dog tag from Road iD (got a Spring sale on at the momebt incidently), and also a wristband - covering all bases!

The cycling is going grand, distance improving. Like others have said, its just the fear of falling off and bleeding thats the worry.
But I try and put that in the back of my mind and also make the other cyclists in the group aware of my condition - its all good!!

Another fellow clotter here ... had a few rounds of PEs and DVTs since 2012.

Lots of details I won't bore you with, but cycling wise, few effects of PTS (post thrombotic syndrome), but had constant leg/arm tingling since the first set which gets worse with exercise and my legs constantly feel wooden (like you've done a long ride the day before). Not had a proper explanation, but I'm just presuming my veins are a bit knackered and its hard for the blood to circulate. Similarly, the clots in my lungs never properly cleared up and feel constantly tired / dizzy. Cycling wise, I try not to fall off my bike, but its obviously limited the amount I do. Many people get over the effects of DVTs/PEs within a few months, but sometimes it takes a bit longer :angry:.

Last edited:

nagden

Über Member
I had a Pulmonary embolism just over three years ago. Fortunately I made a full recovery. I am still on blood thinners but cycle more than before.

ColinJ

Suffered a second blood clot in my other leg last year. Now on anticoagulants for the rest of my life.
Damn - bad luck! :sad:

I went back on warfarin after my second lot of clots 7.5 years ago. I don't give the drugs (or clots) much thought now, except when I cut myself. Oh, and I got some bad nose bleeds last time I had a cold.

My consultant asked if I wanted to come off the drugs (and risk clotting a third time :eek:)... I politely declined!

Oh, considering your new forum name... did you get your DVTs when flying, or does that refer to how fast you ride your bike!

Damn - bad luck! :sad:

I went back on warfarin after my second lot of clots 7.5 years ago. I don't give the drugs (or clots) much thought now, except when I cut myself. Oh, and I got some bad nose bleeds last time I had a cold.

My consultant asked if I wanted to come off the drugs (and risk clotting a third time :eek:)... I politely declined!

Oh, considering your new forum name... did you get your DVTs when flying, or does that refer to how fast you ride your bike!

I cut myself after getting home from shopping one friday, the bleeding didn't stop even though it was a small cut on my finger.
I'm on Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) 20mg once per day.

DVT is from sitting at the computer all day every day and not getting enough exercise. But this year will change.
Like I've told my fellow pc gamers, I don't want to say why I changed my name, but it's something to get me cycling and becoming fit.

ColinJ

DVT is from sitting at the computer all day every day and not getting enough exercise. But this year will change.
Like I've told my fellow pc gamers, I don't want to say why I changed my name, but it's something to get me cycling and becoming fit.
I can relate to that... I spend an awful lot of time every day on the computer and after that I typically watch TV. It is only the bike that stops me being a total couch potato!

AlanW

Guru
Woke up Thursday morning with a swollen and very tender right calf. Gave it 24 hours assuming it was a muscle type strain.
However, a day later and it was getting worse. Rang 111 and got told to consult my GP ASAP.
Fast forward a few hours and a number of tests later, yes l have DVT plus a bakers cyst and the finish the set off, thrombophlebitis, all in the same area.
Then the GP rang me late Friday afternoon and told me to go for a chest x ray, sooner rather than later?

Chest xrays are generally used to rule other things out. Youd get a ct scan to see if you have PEs.
As the doc says, get yourself sorted asap and good luck.

ColinJ

Woke up Thursday morning with a swollen and very tender right calf. Gave it 24 hours assuming it was a muscle type strain.
However, a day later and it was getting worse. Rang 111 and got told to consult my GP ASAP.
Fast forward a few hours and a number of tests later, yes l have DVT plus a bakers cyst and the finish the set off, thrombophlebitis, all in the same area.
Then the GP rang me late Friday afternoon and told me to go for a chest x ray, sooner rather than later?
Yikes, good luck with that lot!

As fellow-sufferer @MartinQ pointed out, clots don't show up well on x-rays, but do on CT scans.

If you aren't already on anti-coagulation, do NOT hang about getting it sorted out - if a clot breaks up and moves further up your body then you could be in BIG trouble very quickly!

Top Bottom