cycling with glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveM

Can someone who wears specs give me any tips on how you go about cycling in the rain with them on, I've only recently started to wear them and I am finding them a bit of a pain in the arse when it starts rains

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Cycling cap, the peak keeps enough rain off to make a pretty big difference. Will also fit under helmet if worn.

DaveM said:
Can someone who wears specs give me any tips on how you go about cycling in the rain with them on, I've only recently started to wear them and I am finding them a bit of a pain in the arse when it starts rains

Try wearing them on your head instead! :biggrin:

As paulinrus says, a cycling cap with peak, or same with a helmet should help. As for rain being blown directly into your face, perhaps lenses would be better, although it might mean squinting.

yep, cap or helmet with sun shade but in prolonged rain you'll be better taking them off. The only real answer is contact lenses. I use the one a day type. Never really wear them except for sport type activities, especially in the rain. The only downer is these days I can't read so well in them, so less good for hill walking and map reading.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You sometimes have to slow down a bit, but I can't see without them... Only get real problems when it's hammering down. A cap would help, but I don't have any....

SamNichols

fossyant said:
You sometimes have to slow down a bit, but I can't see without them... Only get real problems when it's hammering down. A cap would help, but I don't have any....

Well, get one then - they're 4 for 20 on Prendas most of the time (the Campy ones are nice). I wouldn't be able to see without my glasses and can't wear contacts as I hate them.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The peak on my Specialized helmet seems to keep the worst of it off mine.

OP
OP
D

DaveM

OK guys thanks for the replies, I've got a old cycling cap that I used to wear before I started wearing a helmet so I will give that a try.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about one of these... :biggrin:

FEB716S_1.jpg

Er, don't use in windy conditions!!!

wafflycat

I've found the only way to go is contact lenses. I wear specs for distance vision. Started the Dunwich Dynamo this year but had to ditch halfway through. Not because of a lack of fitness but because the rain was so bad, it wasn't clearing from my specs and I was effectively rendered blind. I didn't think that the distinct possibility of ending up in a ditch in rural Essex/Suffolk in the middle of the night during a torrential rain storm was a good thing, so I dipped out. I was gutted, as I'd been putting in the miles to get ready for the event & I knew the distance was not a problem. Since then I've invested in a supply of daily disposable contacts and now tend to wear those on a long ride. Much better.

Top Bottom