Cycling with grandchildren

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
One of life's really wonderful things to do.

20220910_115728.jpg

20220910_120936.jpg

strava3017880133678139184.jpg

He's 3, and loves cycling.
I'm 62 years older and so do I.

Sharky

Guru
Our grand kids range from 6mths to 16yr old. The older two both ride with their parents, but live about 25 miles away, so the logistics of meeting and cycling have proved difficult. However, they are seriously into cricket, football and golf.

This post has made me ponder. When I was in their shoes, the thought of my grandparents doing any athletic activity was unheard of.

Us current grandparents are lucky to be still riding and even luckier to be riding with grandkids.

Enjoy while you can.

Yea Gods
the HORROR

3 of them
one 10 - who would be OK - but slow
One 6 - SEN and can be easily distracted and given the opportunity would go at speed
and knows no danger

one 2 and - well 2

shopping is an act of bravery that needs a medal

cycling would need sainthood at least

still love them but there are limits

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I taught my daughter, then my granddaughter, how to ride a bike and we went riding quite a lot. Granddaughter is nearly 15 and is now into nearly 15 kind of stuff but will still come out for a ride with me occasionally (if the weather is good!)
Grandson, 8, told me that he wants to beat the distance of the 10 mile ride he & I did a while ago, with a hot chocolate as a reward 👍

DSC_0322.JPG

I love it, and will continue as long as I can and they want..
My daughter & I ride together occasionally, too. The last time was around Llanberis.

I’m in my 30’s and still occasionally ride with my parents.
My father is a hare on the flats but I catch him on the hills when he turns into a tortoise, always a good game of cat and mouse but no half wheeling.

My mother is a tortoise and rides slow to keep her heart rate down, great for recovery riding with her or a social ride.

slow scot

Veteran
Going by the colour of your grandson’s bike, I take it he’s going to be a Ranger’s supporter?!

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm 71 and have a film of my Grandparents* taking part in a three-legged race, along with other silly things. It was made back in the 1950s when they were close to my age now. So oldies taking excercise isn't new.

*Grandad had a huge garden where he grew a variety of Veg' fruits and flowers. In his 60s he'd been working in the Steel works, as a smelter when he bought the house and had turned a huge paddock into the garden. The majority of the garden was sold by a subsequent owner, and now has two 4 bedroom houses and a bungalow on it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This post has made me ponder. When I was in their shoes, the thought of my grandparents doing any athletic activity was unheard of.

Us current grandparents are lucky to be still riding and even luckier to be riding with grandkids.

Times have changed for the better with many leading an active life right into their 80s. It’s redefining what being old means.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I taught my daughter, then my granddaughter, how to ride a bike and we went riding quite a lot. Granddaughter is nearly 15 and is now into nearly 15 kind of stuff but will still come out for a ride with me occasionally (if the weather is good!)
Grandson, 8, told me that he wants to beat the distance of the 10 mile ride he & I did a while ago, with a hot chocolate as a reward 👍

View attachment 672785

I love it, and will continue as long as I can and they want..
My daughter & I ride together occasionally, too. The last time was around Llanberis.

Hot Chocolate is a good reward!

Top Bottom