Cycling with headphones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

He should not have been there, but the driver should have behaved properly...he should be banned from driving imo.

(to derail from a headphones debate...)

That was kind of my take on it too. I couldn't really work out WHY the bus ploughed into the bike. The circumstances aren't obvious to me but I'm baffled as to why someone seeing a cyclist, sounding their horn and getting no response seemingly carried on.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Oh, and "The driver approached and blew his horn to warn the rider but he had earphones in"

If true (and something seems a bit fishy) then the cyclist's music was too loud.

This morning I found myself singing along to the cyclists' music in front, so loud was it.

Personally, if I was listening to Steps, I wouldn't be advertising the fact like that...

Moss

This comment made me lol:

"Cambridge must boast the largest number of illiterate and stupid cyclists in any city."

Well, there are certainly more cyclists in and around Cambridge than any other city in the UK! Stands to reason that a fair proportion of them would be mentally challenged (stupid)

Had a Raleigh Lenton Bike stolen in Cambridge! A 1950's bike 531, frame.

Jezston

Über Member
People should be banned from riding whilst hungry, as they will obviously be too distracted thinking about what they are going to have for dinner to pay attention to the road.

Janeyb

Whilst I agree that the driver should have stopped rather than ploughing into the bike....I'm absolutely dumbfounded that a cyclist was on the guided busway! I don't know that particular section, however I do use the bike path next to the busway on another section. If it's the same, then the cyclist was absolutely mad! The busway is not even a road...or a pathway....it's narrow concrete rails wide enough each side for the bus wheels with a concrete kerb keeping the bus on the rails. It would be very difficult to cycle on and is clearly closed to all traffic except buses. The entrance to the busway is very clearly marked and it obviously isn't for general use. Therefore....the buses speed along at 50 odd mph, not expecting to see anything on the busway. The bus driver should have slowed but then again, due to the fact that no other traffic should be using the busway and the speed he would have been travelling, he probably didn't have much chance to slow, not expecting to see an idiot cyclist! Sorry....but as a cyclist in Cambridge I get sick and tired of the idiots that give the rest of us a bad name. The busway cycle path is a great traffic free route (obviously apart from the buses which are on a seperate track) which means not taking your life in your hands on the Cambridge roads. So if this idiot causes them to rethink and close the cycle path....I'll be very angry :angry:

Noodley

Whilst I agree that the driver should have stopped rather than ploughing into the bike....

Whilst I agree the cyclist should not have been on the busway I am dumbfounded the driver ploughed into the bike!

The cyclist was not in anyway right, but colliding with a bike in a fecking bus is attempted murder!

OP
OP
Alien8

Alien8

Senior Moment
Oh well, if it happens again we're now prepared (note for link-phobics, this takes you to a article about a Cambridge trial of bike-ambulances).

"Ridden by paramedics trained in advanced emergency cycling, the bike – weighing in at 45kg – will be equipped with panniers on each side, fitted with oxygen, a defibrillator and various other devices usually carried in the more conventional emergency vehicles."

Presumably the training is about emergency stops.

I rode the busway last year and found riding on the rails took quite a lot of concentration as they are so narrow...but the pathway was not finished and most importantly were no buses on it back then!

Can't understand the actions of the driver running the bike over either, unless he was tailgating the bike and then the rider bailed leaving not enough braking distance for the bus. (I do appreciate that this would be driving too close if it were on the road, but it is effectively a concrete railway line with not very many places to get off.)

Hip Priest

Veteran
Whilst I agree the cyclist should not have been on the busway I am dumbfounded the driver ploughed into the bike!

The cyclist was not in anyway right, but colliding with a bike in a fecking bus is attempted murder!

Indeed.

It's like deliberately cycling into a pedestrian because they didn't get out of your way.

Chris-H

Über Member
This comment made me lol:

"Cambridge must boast the largest number of illiterate and stupid cyclists in any city."
Having just finished a contract in Cambridge multi dropping in a 7.5 tonne i can in all honesty say i fully agree with the above,the amount of cyclists who ride behind me while reversing,riding alongside me when i was indicating to turn left,riding the wrong way up one way streets in the middle of the road etc etc etc,i've done this kind of work for the last 20 years nationwide and really must say Cambridge really is one of the scariest places for drivers in trucks.Maybe it might be down to there being such a high student population that they might,just might,be influenced but those colombian roll ups they smoke :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
If your distracted with headphones on while cycling. Seriously i hope you livestrong. Too much distractions, you lose concentrations and focus. It takes a few minutes to be on the bike to the ground. Understand your safety while cycling and reliase what it does to you. Enough said.

If your distracted with headphones on while cycling. Seriously i hope you livestrong. Too much distractions, you lose concentrations and focus. It takes a few minutes to be on the bike to the ground. Understand your safety while cycling and reliase what it does to you. Enough said.
... to start a fight on this forum :boxing: . Two things you don't mention on this forum , headphones while cycling and livestrong :stop: (there's one subject even more likely to start a war just by mentioning it).

Reading that article it mentions a previous incident and it doesn't mention whether the driver had time to stop when he used the horn

Note I may be joking about livestrong.

Norm

Lots of fault going on here. For the cyclist to be riding down the busway (essentially a train line with road connections) and not checking for traffic approaching from behind strikes me as being lunacy which verges on suicidal.

However, and this might depend on the circumstances (corners, bushes, little old lady standing in the middle of the bus etc), the driver has full control over everything apart from the steering when on the busway, so wtf is he doing mowing down a cyclist?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh well, if it happens again we're now prepared (note for link-phobics, this takes you to a article about a Cambridge trial of bike-ambulances).

"Ridden by paramedics trained in advanced emergency cycling, the bike – weighing in at 45kg – will be equipped with panniers on each side, fitted with oxygen, a defibrillator and various other devices usually carried in the more conventional emergency vehicles."

Presumably the training is about emergency stops.

Good lord, have you only just got them? York's had them for 10 years or more. I assumed a learned place like Cambridge would have them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom