Cycling with Raynaud's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had a better year than normal - not sure why.

I used to think I would invent heated handlebars - but I see someone has beaten me to it!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one to see if anyone's got any new reviews / recommendations of winter gloves etc suitable for cycling with Raynaud's.

Edit: I know much of the theory but it's the brands/makes I'm interested in as few manufacturers say whether or not their winter gloves are breathable.

Last edited:
Mr Hop has Raynaud's badly in his fingers. This time of year he cycles with full on winter waterproof/windproof gloves and goes as fast as he can to keep his circulation going. Further on into winter, he has to give in and take the prescription drugs for it. Also makes sure he keeps his head warm as this helps too.

I didn't know there were prescription drugs for this. What does he take? There is no cure it's just something that has to be 'managed'.
He's got Nifedipine. Ordinary and slow release.
Or they can apparently snip a nerve (in the armpit region I think) that stops it, but the downside is constant high blood flow to the fingers.

CAS_LEDO

Hi,
I have a friend who suffers from Raynaud's, and last year did LEJOG. He wore high quality industrial gloves, the kind you'd use with a powerful drill or similar.
They are water, oil, everything proof, protect from the cold very well and obviously are extremely effective when it comes to dealing with vibrations.
If I were you I'd give these a go, as no problems were experienced for him during the trip!

Good luck!

paul04

Über Member
I do suffer with Raynaud's, The worse bit is when your fingers start to warm up, its agony.
Last week riding the bike to work I could not use my right hand, so had to brake+change gears just using the left hand.
this week I am going to try some ski mittens to see if they work.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
last weekend i went out and my feet got cold and wet, when the circulation returned i could not even stand up and ended up in bed for about half an hour till i could stand on them although they still felt funny a good 5-6 hours later.

Berties

Fast and careful!
google silver thread gloves-i was recommended them by a physio when i slashed a tendon and had it stitched and patched,my hands were cold for ages,highly recommend them ,and there are plenty of raynauds users

Jacks

As others have said, Raynaulds is an exaggerated form of a normal response to cold. This can be triggered by local skin temperature but also cool blood circulating in the extremities. You can get a lot of heat exchanged in the blood vessels of the arms (and legs) to minimise overall heat loss; so as cool blood from the edges returns to the centre, it is warmed up by the warmer blood flowing outwards. Therefore you have to concentrate on starting and keeping really warm, and minimise heat loss all the way down the arms with a good windproof outer layer + insulating underlayers. Focussing on gloves specifically only treats half the problem. The other factor is that cold skin anywhere can cause a neural reflex to vasoconstrict, so it may be a good idea to protect the face a bit as well. I always found that keeping the wind and wet out more important than thick insulation but everybody has different individual solutions and what works for one wont necessarily be universal. Prevention is better than cure!

paul04

Über Member
As others have said, Raynaulds is an exaggerated form of a normal response to cold. This can be triggered by local skin temperature but also cool blood circulating in the extremities. You can get a lot of heat exchanged in the blood vessels of the arms (and legs) to minimise overall heat loss; so as cool blood from the edges returns to the centre, it is warmed up by the warmer blood flowing outwards. Therefore you have to concentrate on starting and keeping really warm, and minimise heat loss all the way down the arms with a good windproof outer layer + insulating underlayers. Focussing on gloves specifically only treats half the problem. The other factor is that cold skin anywhere can cause a neural reflex to vasoconstrict, so it may be a good idea to protect the face a bit as well. I always found that keeping the wind and wet out more important than thick insulation but everybody has different individual solutions and what works for one wont necessarily be universal. Prevention is better than cure!

My fingers can get cold in the house, many a day I have sat there in the house with gloves on, even when the heating is on.
Even the knife and fork I use have plastic handles, as the cold of stainless steel knifes and forks can make my finger go cold.

Top Bottom