Cycling with youngsters ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

When my kids were younger (10-14 ish), and I took them out with me on the bikes, I'd always have them leading so I could shield them to a degree from the traffic, and also call out directions etc.

I saw this chap yesterday with hsi son in tow (about 10 ish). The lad looked really nervous, and the father was just a bit gung ho with the kid furiously pedalling to keep up. It did makeme feel a bit uneasy as they were attempting to negotiate one of the busiest roundabouts in my town

When out with yours, what do/did you do ?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Always ride behind. That way, as you say, you can shield them to some degree, also you can see them all the time.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
I'm currently teaching my 9 year-old daughter to ride her own bike on the road. I too, keep her in front of me, so I can see what she's doing, to call out directions, to make sure she's in the correct position in the lane, and to shield her in case she has a wide wobble. In my opinion, as a person who has passed the US League Certified Instructor exam and received training as a cycling instructor, keeping the kid in front is best practice.

I always have her scan for threats, assess the risk and decide when it's safe to cross an intersection or negotiate a difficult situation. The student must make these kinds of decisions for himself/herself. Many parents teaching their kids to ride do not give the kid this responsibility, which is (I believe) the single most essential skill for the student cyclist to develop. Of course, when doing this, the instructor must place himself in a position so that any order to wait/stop can be clearly heard by the student.

I disagree with the widely-held notion that cycling in the road is dangerous, so when I'm shielding her, it's from her mistakes, and not for fear of traffic. I think traffic only becomes a real danger if we cycle in ways that increase the risk. If we ride with the proper lane positioning, respect all traffic laws and signs, and if we take other common-sense precautions, I believe we can make ourselves more confident, visible and predictable and reduce any traffic threats virtually to zero. This is the case at age 8 or age 80. Any properly trained cyclist, from around age 10 or 11 on (after they have developed the ability to understand threats and correctly assess them), should be able to negotiate even the busiest roads.

Mine are now 18, 16 and 13... so it was a while ago.

Once they were ready for the road (at seven) I rode behind them and slightly to the offside (but not primary), to shield them. It seemed to be the way they were happiest and it gave me a chance to shepherd them along.

All of them rode solo in our town from eleven and solo on the NSL A-Roads from about 12 or 14. Unfortunately, one of the key issues is experience - and this takes time. There will always be a risk when a 13yo child is riding alone on single carriageways alongside 38-tonne artics doing 50mph. I think the benefits outweigh the risks. Do not ask me to repeat that judgement if one of my children is hurt or killed in that situation. In my limited experience, tragedy can alter one's thinking.

I thought it important that they rode safely, that they were aware and that they enjoyed it. I disagree with those who say that riding on the road isn't dangerous for children. In my experience it can be - and the factor determining whether it is or not is not always in the hands of the rider.

Each to their own. I've never been trained as an instructor. In some (but not all) cases these Certificates of Training Fantastitude can be wheeled out and used as proof of every box-of-frogs opinion the author wants to tout. I prefer to hand on any clever things I hear and to teach by example.

I agree broadly with IC above, although experience of UK roads suggests that the reduction of traffic threats (or risk) to almost zero is a mathematical impossibility.

Two of my three children have had spectacular unplanned dismounts at speed. All are still alive as I typre this and all are keen cyclists. I think they are all pretty good on the road, but I do not kid myself that they have reduced any 'traffic threats' to almost zero. Children are children.

As they grow older, you can fool around with position. On longer rides, 13yo still prefers to lead. 16yo prefers to switch every couple of miles.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
When i cycle with my nephew i normally ride just behind him, so I can see what hes doing and warn him not to cut people up, slow down near kids/dogs etc. Up until recently on his old bike he would moan constantly and cycle around 6mph so sometimes Id run with him rather than cycle, but I took him out on his new bike to get used to the gears and hes averaging 10+mph already. It would make things a lot more enjoyable for me, except im twice as terrified by watching him cycle faster and with no more sense. :crazy:

We dont really do roads at all yet, because theres cyclepath alternatives everywhere and hes very scared of being in the road, he seems to be saying school told them to use the cyclepaths and walk your bike accross roads looking both ways. I can kinda see their point, lots of traffic around the school and kids shoot accross between parked cars etc. Im expecting us to use a few more streets and more distance as hes a lot stronger cyclist on his new bike :smile:

Butterfly

Veteran
I always ride behind. I need to know what they are doing. They can set the speed and they aren't following me into traffic. I need to see what hazards are there for them, not just me.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
My missus would disagree with all of ya!

Women have been known to be wrong on occasion.

But maybe I'm not fully appreciating your missus's intentions regarding the kid. If one wants to get rid of a kid, having it ride behind the adults is the best practice. It also gives plausible deniability in case the police start asking uncomfortable questions after the kid's unfortunate demise.

Seriously though, how would a kid ever learn how to assess potential threats at a junction, if he was always behind the adult? Too many kids, on leaving home and going off to college, still have no idea how to ride their bikes safely. I truly believe this is a big reason why so many college students are killed while cycling by motorists at intersections.

Nihal

Veteran
Hmmm..lonely,lonely.................less companinons............less dependance:giggle:

On the road I usually follow my 8 year old daughter, blocking following traffic and keeping an eye on her. Usually I'm in primary and I get her to ride in secondary, which gives her a little wiggle/wobble room.

On the bike paths, it's 50/50 as I don't have to worry about cars, but I do have to watch out for on-coming speeding cyclists.

On the dirt I often lead to make sure I know what's coming up and hopefully give a could example of how to get over and around obstacles.

Sandra6

Veteran
When I take the girls out on their bikes there's usually three of them, so I have the two youngest in front and the older one behind me. We only have a couple of short stretches of road before we hit cycle path though.
I went out with my son - who is 18 - for the first time on roads, we had to get to a hospital appointment, and I set off in front assuming he could keep up! We came home with me behind him!
When I cycle with my husband he always puts me in front so he can keep an eye on me, apart from at roundabouts .

Seriously though, how would a kid ever learn how to assess potential threats at a junction, if he was always behind the adult? Too many kids, on leaving home and going off to college, still have no idea how to ride their bikes safely. I truly believe this is a big reason why so many college students are killed while cycling by motorists at intersections.

Very easily!

Trailer bikes are an underused resource, and kids willl very quickly learn from the adult, increasing their input and confidence.

Discussing when to signal, noting hazards,best way to negotiate a junction and all the other minutae are possible with a trailer bike

Sandra6

Veteran
I would agree, they learn through watching the adult, then as they get older and cycle alone, learn through experience.
I suppose it depends on what age your child is and when you let them go off alone.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Discussing when to signal, noting hazards,best way to negotiate a junction and all the other minutae are possible with a trailer bike

My daughter has been riding with me on a trailer bike for the past 5 years and we just moved to separate bikes. On the trailer bike, she was never far enough forward to have full visibility at junctions, so she was never in a position to determine the full range of hazards, nor could she ever tell me when it was safe to proceed. Discussion is all well and good, but practical application is key, and you cannot get that on the back of a trailer bike.

Top Bottom