Cycling with youngsters ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
I must question what does Ian cooper mean by "I disagree with the widely held notion that cycling on the road is dangerous". It CAN be, and IS very dangerous, as he himself seems to point out later in the same post, if it wern't we could all just ride around with our eyes shut and no harm done. The skill is to obtain the knowledge and ability to reduce the danger to an acceptable level. To assume a lack of danger is to assume safety, a very dangerous thing and not something to pass on to a pupil.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I generally ride behind but sometimes to the side and occasionally in front. In front can be useful in certain situations either to demonstrate or protect from on-coming traffic. I most often cycle to the side on the school road when it is too narrow to pass each other and occasionally get drivers pointing to the pavement suggesting that is where we should be (and sometimes that is where some cars go to pass each other!!!).

I think children progress at different rates and that even with the same experience within the family, their judgement and skill can vary a great deal. However the more experience they get - generally they get better.

Sandra6

Veteran
I tried cycling in front yesterday evening when out with two of my girls - 7 and 10. We only had two roads to negotiate before the cycle path, 10 year old got confused on the first junction (no traffic) and took herself on to the pavement. Then 7 year old was having a fight with her helmet and let out an almighty squeal as she wobbled all over the place - if they'd been in front of me I could have predicted what was coming next and coached them better. "Put your hands bike on the handle bars!!!" would've been a start.

defy-one

My sons 16 now and i still keep him infront of me when we ride. Paternal instinct kicks in and i ride a little further out so he gets no close passes

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
It CAN be, and IS very dangerous,
I'd have to challenge the second part of that statement. Yes it can be dangerous, cycling on the road. But if done properly, then it isn't. If it was very dangerous, do you think we'd be allowed to do it in this day and age (nanny state etc.)

Top Bottom