Cycling without lights in the dark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
There are a couple of threads along these lines already.

For what it's worth I completely agree with you and think they are utterly daft, however I'm now going to sit over here with :popcorn: and watch the sparks fly.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's the drivers fault innit. They shouldn't be on the road if they can't pick out stealth cyclists around the next corner on a dark wet night.
These drivers should really have someone walking in front of them carrying a red flag, and making sure the way is clear of cyclists and pedestrians. And dogs. Especially the ones on extending leads.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
There is a school of thought that we cyclists can/should bear no responsibility for our own personal safety because other things on the road are faster & more dangerous. ***

There is also a school of thought that this notion is a load of b****cks.

*** how this works in a world where pedestrians also co-exist with generally faster and more dangerous bikes is anyones guess tho.

U

User33236

Many moons ago I was driving along at street near my home which, due to overhanging trees, was dark despite street lighting and, as I knew kids played in the area, I made sure I was driving at an appropriate speed.

To this day I still do not know what made me hit the brakes, as I don't consciously remember seeing anything, but when I stopped and got out the car I saw a male in his early 20's leaning his back against my front grill. He was dressed in black with his hood up and his back to traffic sitting in the middle of the road trying to find something that has fallen out his pocket as he had cycled along. Much to my amazement be stood up and began a torrent of abuse because I had almost hit him and he seemed totally oblivious that he has place himself in danger in any way.

See it all the time at my bit and to be honest I am bad as well as I tend to buy dark clothing but would never ride my bike without front and rear lights.

Kies

It should be mandatory to have a working front/rear light, and being used after dark. A nice £100 on the spot fine for you ninja !
To be seen lights are so cheap, that there is no excuse for any cyclist

vickster

Legendary Member
To be seen lights are so cheap, that there is no excuse for any cyclist
Except a lack of forethought and common sense, can be the only excuse ! Or indeed any sort of sense, common or otherwise

Kies

I was listening to LBC on thursday afternoon, and they were discussing the recent spate of deaths in London - do you know, almost every caller referred to
1. Red light jumpers
2. Ninja - no lights cyclists
3. Dark clothing
4. Tour de france type men using the streets like a personal time trial

It won't be long before the masses demand licence plates on our bikes

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
These idiots in black without proper lights are a damned hazard to motorists but at least they're safe from injury if in collision with such idiots. It's the cyclists and pedestrians who come off worse if in a collision with them! Having said that,some pedestrians could make an effort to make themselves seen when they're stepping off pavements and walking in the road etc!
I saw an excuse for bike lighting tonight. The cyclist had a tiny flashing blue front light and a tiny flashing blue rear light. He was also texting while cycling.:headshake:

Tyke

Except a lack of forethought and common sense, can be the only excuse ! Or indeed any sort of sense, common or otherwise
Came out of work the in dark last night with a new very high viz jacket to a bike with three bright fully working rear lights and two new T6 front lights. As I was fitting the battery pack in a fully lit bike shelter someone asked about the front lights, then we gathered a few others and five minutes later I was finally allowed to go home. Two miles later I got home to find all three rear lights still switched off. A lack of forethought and common sense? I think Both.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I always dress in subdued colors, except for the high viz cycling jacket, which really shocked Mrs. GA when I got it. All came in handy today when it decided to rain as I came home from the grocery store with a full touring load of groceries. Lights came in handy, as well.

Top Bottom