Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've heard several coaches who prescribe these to their athletes and swear by them. What length intervals do you do and what cadence is "low" for you?

The length is 10 mins, with 5 mins recovery between at the moment. The number of intervals varies depending on progression but most I’ve done this year is 7 x 10 / 5 mins in one session. The cadence range is 40-60 rpm. I have a data screen with cadence, power and lap elapsed time for them. My natural cadence range is from 80 rpm to 130 rpm.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
70 minutes is a fair old chunk :okay:

JuhaL

Guru
Yesterday Garmin recommended to me 3hr base training but I wasn't sure would I like to sit on the trainer 3hr so I increased bit of strain and did 2hr training. Overall training effect was nearly same or bit more than if I would ride recommended 3hr ride. Impacting aerobic base was 3,4 and some anaerobic benefit was 1,1. Okay 2hr is not 3hr but it was better than nothing.

bobinski

Legendary Member
You've got this Bob,👍

Personally, once I could do a couple 3hr Z2 indoors a week I was able to ride a weeks tour in Tenerife or the Alps.

Ta Andy.
I am sure I can complete the RP. I know that from previous trips not least Majorca last year. But there’s a cut off and my own assessment of time each day, allowing for variables like accumulating fatigue , gives me an idea of average climbing watts needed , and those pesky watts on the flats and rollers too.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
DD6246C7-AB16-42DD-ABF0-1F7F1EC8C9F6.jpeg
Oh God!

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
@Legs, at that resolution, we can't read the workout detail. I've just looked up The Gorby and it is 5 x 5 mins @110%FTP with 5 min recoveries. Pretty similar to the ones I've been doing the last couple of weeks. How did you get on?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Did 3.5 hours Saturday, and 2.5 hours yesterday. Both Z2 rides with my wife joining me on the Sat. Some hail on Sat and cold northerly, but on Sunday there was definitely warmth in the sun. I’m scheduled a one hour recovery ride today, but I prefer to get a decent walk in, instead. Keep those bones happy and also works all the smaller muscles, ligaments and tendons that cycling doesn’t touch.

My Zone 2 pace has increased 2.5 mph in last 15 months, which I’m happy with. The mix of training is working.

92034B0C-8607-4DF7-80BF-861B933B4D77.jpeg

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Even I can do 120w! 😁

I hope you had fun.
Cheers @bobinski and @Norry1. Yep, it's 5 x 110% for 5 mins. It's the highest power I've done The Gorby at - only in December I bailed on the fourth interval at 320W: this time I managed 345W without my legs completely buckling. Getting through it is a big psychological boost to start the day!

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Cheers @bobinski and @Norry1. Yep, it's 5 x 110% for 5 mins. It's the highest power I've done The Gorby at - only in December I bailed on the fourth interval at 320W: this time I managed 345W without my legs completely buckling. Getting through it is a big psychological boost to start the day!

Awesome work @Legs .

My current equivalent to this one is 5 x 4:30 at 113% with 6 min recoveries. I managed this ok (but tough) last week but my FTP has just gone up by 11W so I'm not sure what Roy will prescribe me now. (Roy was my coach last year and I've commissioned him for a one-off review of where I'm at now and recommendations going forward.

The week before this, intervals 3 and 4 got interrupted by my bike coming off the turbo. It is a direct drive turbo but the skewer had worked loose!

1677492587667.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom