Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I suppose it is now you state it. I think Roy set it for me because I managed the 3 x 15 mins fairly comfortably. It is probably because my outside FTP is higher than the 239W I am using indoors. He also wants me to do a 30 minute test soon, as he uses that to assess my FTP.

How long are your Z4? And how close to Threshold are they?

My plan has me doing the two sets at 290w (FTP is 285w) - with early weeks in the plan starting at 2 x 15 minutes. I up that a minute each week and aim to get to 2 x 25 mins (25 mins being a typical TT duration in my hilly part of the world).

I’ve only tried short sharp efforts outdoors as I find the terrain is too variable to get a decent 10 plus minutes steady effort.

I’m Off to Mallorca in April so might take the opportunity on some of the longer climbs there to do some decent intervals.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2 zwift sessions yesterday
1st one was 45 min 3.4 w/kg pacer ride which was pretty comfy just clocking the miles in but in the evening i decided to do road to the sky ,i did it the day before too and it was hard work from the start but i plugged on even though by halfway my head was hurting .By the end i was feeling pretty rough and the head was swimming .
I think i might have pushed it a bit much !

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
My plan has me doing the two sets at 290w (FTP is 285w) - with early weeks in the plan starting at 2 x 15 minutes. I up that a minute each week and aim to get to 2 x 25 mins (25 mins being a typical TT duration in my hilly part of the world).

I’ve only tried short sharp efforts outdoors as I find the terrain is too variable to get a decent 10 plus minutes steady effort.

I’m Off to Mallorca in April so might take the opportunity on some of the longer climbs there to do some decent intervals.

What does the rest of your plan look like, and where did the plan come from?

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
1st one was 45 min 3.4 w/kg pacer ride which was pretty comfy just clocking the miles in but in the evening i decided to do road to the sky ,i did it the day before too and it was hard work from the start but i plugged on even though by halfway my head was hurting .By the end i was feeling pretty rough and the head was swimming .

Do you follow any sort of plan or just go by feel?

bobinski

Legendary Member

Are you fueling your rides? Drinking water perhaps with electrolytes? Do you have a fan or door/ window open to keep cool? It’s difficult to know if you are over training or your body is reacting lack of fuel or overheating.

cyberknight

Are you fueling your rides? Drinking water perhaps with electrolytes? Do you have a fan or door/ window open to keep cool? It’s difficult to know if you are over training or your body is reacting lack of fuel or overheating.

oh yeah plenty of fuel , liquids and i have a fan and the back door open i think i just did too much i couldnt get mr HRM connected to zwift ,connected to laptop but zwift couldnt see it but when i checked manually my heart was giving it a good techno speed beat !! i was going for 3.5- 4 w/ kg all the way
1677492137755-png.png

e%3Djpg&fb_obo=1&utld=cloudfront.net&stp=c0.5000x0.jpg

Last edited:

JuhaL

Guru
My today's workout is threshold training (Garmin's suggestion). 3x7min 225W with 15min 150W warm-up and 2x4min 125W recovery and 15min 125W cool down.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
My today's workout is threshold training (Garmin's suggestion). 3x7min 225W with 15min 150W warm-up and 2x4min 125W recovery and 15min 125W cool down.

what is that in %FTP terms?

JuhaL

Guru
I bought Garmin Fenix 7s smart watch 3-4 weeks ago and it's very handy. I use Garmin 1030 Plus as well when I'm riding with my bike but Fenix will calculate the overall activity in a day. Probably that's why Garmin 1030 Plus suggest different workout's than Fenix 7s. For example Garmin 1030 Plus suggest me today sprint work out's where the sprint is 3x5 210%-237% from FTP with 2-5min recovery

bobinski

Legendary Member
I have been trying to get my head around the np effort i will need over the 5 days of the raid pyrennes. My 6 days in Majorca, albeit with less climbing, provides a useful set of figures to assist. I assumed 180-200w at 70ish kilo's would be about right. I can compare with my lowish km/rides this year and see a deficite of 30-40w up to 1h but after that np is not disimilar. The first is a bit of outlier in that it involved an ITT up Sa Calobra. Still, reassuring at quite an early stage in my training.

1677590792667.png

1677590292441.png

1677590208016.png

JuhaL

Guru
This workout went well. It wasn't hard enough and I could repeat those 7min nearly 100% efforts few more times.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have been trying to get my head around the np effort i will need over the 5 days of the raid pyrennes. My 6 days in Majorca, albeit with less climbing, provides a useful set of figures to assist. I assumed 180-200w at 70ish kilo's would be about right. I can compare with my lowish km/rides this year and see a deficite of 30-40w up to 1h but after that np is not disimilar. The first is a bit of outlier in that it involved an ITT up Sa Calobra. Still, reassuring at quite an early stage in my training.

View attachment 679840

View attachment 679839

View attachment 679838

Do you want me to have a look at the workloads I put out when I did the Pyr RAID? We are similar weights so there may be some useful info.

cyberknight

todays 1st effort i was going for 20 miles with zwift pacer group but still feeling it from yesterday i guess as it was like riding through treacle so i only managed 16 miles :sad:

Top Bottom