Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
Garmin is suggesting to me to do VO2max workout today where is 4x3min 113% intervals. Totally that workout will last 48min. We’ll see how much energy i have left after work.

Didn't have much energy left after work but I did my decision to do that workout. I manage to do that but only just, during a last interval I tried to find willpower and determination from somewhere, I was so close to abandon the last interval. Next time better do that kind of workout well rested.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Didn't have much energy left after work but I did my decision to do that workout. I manage to do that but only just, during a last interval I tried to find willpower and determination from somewhere, I was so close to abandon the last interval. Next time better do that kind of workout well rested.

That is as it should be - just manage to complete the workout :okay:

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Martin spent a lot more time at anaerobic or vo2 max than in z2. Day 1 for example. I appreciate you are trying to be positive and encouraging Andy but unless Martin says these zones are out of wack it properly reflects the efforts i expect to make.

View attachment 680031

I don't think I had my FTP set in Strava at the time - so I'd ignore these.

My FTP was probably around 250W then - so the 27% band would be Tempo/Threshold.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Out of interest, what intensity were the on/offs for the intervals?

The on intervals averaged 127% of my current ftp setting yesterday. Off intervals averaged about 55% of FTP from memory. I aim to maintain a minimum of 120% of FTP and a maximum of 150% of FTP. I have the general rule that I expect the heart rate hit 90% max by third set and I don’t want it to go above 95% of max as that’s too much fatigue. Some weeks I’ll be at 120%, other weeks like this one I am able to work higher up in the range.

I have the trainer on slope mode with the on intervals set at 4% and off at 0%. You’d think the intervals might have quite varying power but they are all within 3 watts of each other. You learn to pace them after you’ve done a few.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Thanks, @Ming the Merciless, that sounds bonkers-hard! I do all workouts except sprinting ones in erg mode. 10 seconds can pass before you start feeling the strain on your legs in a short interval, so there’s quite a difference between 40/20s and 30/30s, but a block of nine is going to be hard on the heart and lungs!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Thanks, @Ming the Merciless, that sounds bonkers-hard!

It’s certainly an intimidating one. It’s scary, but achievable if I just focus on executing the intervals one at a time. I’ve also got 5 sets next week, but each set 7 x 30 / 30. Doesn’t sound like a big change but two less intervals per set does seem to see you get through to the longer recovery period much faster.

Of course it all depends where you are in your progressions, as to what feels scary.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Today was aerobic development with a Z2 outing, just over 2 hours. A nice contrast to the VO2 max indoors yesterday.

D45163A2-69A5-4021-AB01-5B35938A645A.jpeg

JuhaL

Guru
I think I reach my max heart rate today when I did my workout. I thought it is approx 165 but today my max heart rate was 175. Not bad for 58... or nearly 59yo man. This workout is probably good reference to compare how I develope my progress in a future I hope.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I think I reach my max heart rate today when I did my workout. I thought it is approx 165 but today my max heart rate was 175. Not bad for 58... or nearly 59yo man. This workout is probably good reference to compare how I develope my progress in a future I hope.

My max is about 160 BPM. Strangely, I saw higher than this as I was doing intervals whilst recovering from my op. Now I'm getting back closer to my previous fitness, the max HR has dropped back to where it used to be. A bit strange really, you'd think max HR was kinda fixed.

JuhaL

Guru
My max is about 160 BPM. Strangely, I saw higher than this as I was doing intervals whilst recovering from my op. Now I'm getting back closer to my previous fitness, the max HR has dropped back to where it used to be. A bit strange really, you'd think max HR was kinda fixed.

In my case I think the explanation is my morning shift. Yesterday and today I was working from 5:30AM to 1:30PM so I need to wake up really early. It's poison for me to wake-up that early and that's why every time after morning shift I feel pretty tired when I return home, let say I have sleep debt. So that gives extra load to my body when I try to do harder training those days.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
A bit strange really, you'd think max HR was kinda fixed.

The more aerobically developed your muscles are, more capillaries in your slow twitch etc, the more oxygen they are able to extract from the passing blood. Thus when working max aerobically you can extract the same amount of oxygen at a lower max heart rate.

Below is a table showing the rough percentages that various bodily organs can extract from the blood. The heart being the most efficient.

Training is simple, physiology is complex!

AE7E64BD-5864-439C-9C04-D6F13D9A85DB.jpeg

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Hey Ming (is that what we call you?) are you training for anything specific or just to get/stay fitter? And are you self coached or following a programme?

CXRAndy

Guru
Martin spent a lot more time at anaerobic or vo2 max than in z2. Day 1 for example. I appreciate you are trying to be positive and encouraging Andy but unless Martin says these zones are out of wack it properly reflects the efforts i expect to make.

View attachment 680031
Hi Bob

I was looking at Martin's HR effort which indicates he was in Z2 for 80-90% of the ride each day. I presume his power are figures wrongly zoned.

Unless your power figures(zones )closely track your HR zones, I personally would ride solely to perceived effort and HR.

That would give a clear measure of how you're physically coping.

As each day progresses your HR will steadily climb indicating fatigue. You can then dial down perceived effort to maintain Z2 HR .

Trying to hold a certain power figure without a close eye on HR too may lead to over exertion later on each day....

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Hi Bob

I was looking at Martin's HR effort which indicates he was in Z2 for 80-90% of the ride each day. I presume his power are figures wrongly zoned.

Unless your power figures(zones )closely track your HR zones, I personally would ride solely to perceived effort and HR.

That would give a clear measure of how you're physically coping.

As each day progresses your HR will steadily climb indicating fatigue. You can then dial down perceived effort to maintain Z2 HR .

Trying to hold a certain power figure without a close eye on HR too may lead to over exertion later on each day....

You may find HR fails to rise when you are very fatigued. I usually see this on the 3rd day of a big tour.

Top Bottom