Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I am coming to the end of a challenging weeks cycle camp in Majorca. Back issues from day 2 day really hit my ability to put down power for extended periods on climbs. Something never felt quite right about the hire bike despite being set up using a jig to replicate my bike fit. 34/28 also a bit of a challenge for this spinner and masked ny initial concerns- perhaps the back was caused by the lower cadence. Transpires they forgot to account for my use of 165 mm cranks back in UK. I was assured it had been taken into account but a check on the jig on day 4 confirmed I was right.So saddle 10mm too high. Lowered 5 because I feared a 10 mm drop would be too much too fast. Huge improvement and ftp boost day 5 but hit hard again today after 16 min of solid 255ish watts up Sa Calobra. I had to get off the bike before getting back on and completing the ride. Frustrating but nice to be getting a fitness and endurance boost before the RP even if the distance and elevation Dailey is half what we will have to contend with.

View attachment 695073

Very frustrating regarding bike set up! Hope you still enjoyed yourself

bobinski

Legendary Member
Very frustrating regarding bike set up! Hope you still enjoyed yourself

Great time- mixed camp with people from all over the world. 565km and almost 8900m of climbing. Good enough I have booked again for next may.

bobinski

Legendary Member
It’s amazing how sensitive the body is to some aspects of bike setup, and yet tolerant to other aspects.

Yep, miss setup threw too much weight and pressure onto the lower back/arse- nearly fatal for an old man 😀
Should have trusted my intuition/body memory.

Now, I can ride any saddle and any bib shorts. But increasingly hate mitts

bobinski

Legendary Member
Andy, what Tommy said. Travelling with just cabin luggage is cheap and fast. I should have been more careful but they should have caught the fit- all info provided.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
A 100km Z2 outing with my wife today

IMG_1976.jpeg

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
So I finally got round to doing The Hour Of Power…
FC14F753-27B1-4231-851B-2392E98E1B78.jpeg

(60x 1000W+)

I’ll pretend that the first one was a primer or a sighter, but I actually didn’t quite hit 1000W on it, so I found myself dangling at 970W and needing to keep pushing harder and longer, and I narrowly failed, so I gave myself 5 more minutes to regroup!

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
View attachment 695238
(60x 1000W+)

I’ll pretend that the first one was a primer or a sighter, but I actually didn’t quite hit 1000W in on it, so I found myself dangling at 970W and needing to keep pushing harder and longer, and I narrowly failed, so I gave myself 5 more minutes to regroup!

Nutter!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
View attachment 695238
(60x 1000W+)

I’ll pretend that the first one was a primer or a sighter, but I actually didn’t quite hit 1000W on it, so I found myself dangling at 970W and needing to keep pushing harder and longer, and I narrowly failed, so I gave myself 5 more minutes to regroup!

An hour of sprints 😆

UphillSlowly

Thanks

I’d be interested to see your training plan. My trips in two weeks so my plan at this point is mainly based around denial and my pre disposition for stubbornness! But I’d look at your plan all the same.

Couldn't find a way of downloading or screenshotting my 12 week plan leading up to Maratona from intervals.icu. Apologies for delay @<Tommy> but have finally got round to this. Have added some notes - it is obviously very personal to me. Prior to this I had spent much of last year not doing many rides beyond 80km as I had issues with hot spots in my feet - now hugely improved with a change of shoes and cleats. Have also been working on fueling of course.

Block 2 was similar but possibly more turbo sessions due to bad weather. Block 1 - didn't have a clue what I was doing! (Probably still don't)

Attachments

• Maratona block 3 - reality - Sheet1.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 3
My plan has had me on a rest week then a mid week B event came out the following so it adapted the structure out of it . I'm supposed to be back on it tomorrow night but a mate wants to meet so I'll probably give it a miss. I might do something by RPE on the commute home if its dry but its rather undulating so I can't say I'll be the most obedient to the workout.

On the positive of the 3 TT's I've done in this period in 2 of them I've set Power PBs and the one where I didn't but handled better I won the handicap.

1687209738046.png

1687209845224.png

1687209930275.png

I'm still in two minds as to whether to TT this weekend or do a long group ride :wacko:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Couldn't find a way of downloading or screenshotting my 12 week plan leading up to Maratona from intervals.icu. Apologies for delay @<Tommy> but have finally got round to this. Have added some notes - it is obviously very personal to me. Prior to this I had spent much of last year not doing many rides beyond 80km as I had issues with hot spots in my feet - now hugely improved with a change of shoes and cleats. Have also been working on fueling of course.

Block 2 was similar but possibly more turbo sessions due to bad weather. Block 1 - didn't have a clue what I was doing! (Probably still don't)

Thanks for that uphill. Are you managing to stick to the plan?

I’m a big fan of hill repeats too. When I’ve been at my strongest on cycling trips it’s generally been combining 3 of the elements you have in your training. Intervals (in my case often online racing), endurance rides and hill repeats.

Then I guess it’s a debate of how much, how often, and at what intensity.

Good luck!

UphillSlowly

Thanks for that uphill. Are you managing to stick to the plan?

I’m a big fan of hill repeats too. When I’ve been at my strongest on cycling trips it’s generally been combining 3 of the elements you have in your training. Intervals (in my case often online racing), endurance rides and hill repeats.

Then I guess it’s a debate of how much, how often, and at what intensity.

Good luck!

Thanks. What I shared is what I managed to stick to. Though weather is so bad I am not so keen on my 2 hour tapering ride today!

Re hill repeats. In the winter I would do a second set of intervals. Very luck to have a good set of different hills nearby that you can do a 6-8 minute threshold effort on. Wrote about them here
Screenshot_20230620_095215.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_095215.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_095215.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom