Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Then I guess it’s a debate of how much, how often, and at what intensity.

Good luck!
Depends what you are training for. I had to train for endurance as this was my weak spot, so hence aiming for 80% minimum in Zone 1 and 2 overall.

Below is an example of attempts on 4 x threshold hill repeats on 4 different hills in the same area, done in 90 minutes
Screenshot_20230620_095845.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The core for me seems to be endurance. I think this applies to most of us unless you are training for very short events. For instance I’d imagine the fitness and training required to do well in Zwift races or time trials up to 25 miles, is different to that required to do well for much longer durations.

I’m sure we’ve all seen big improvements in fitness and average speeds over outings lasting many hours, when your FTP hasn’t shifted all that much. Reflecting that FTP just represents one measurement point, and by itself does not represent all aspects of your fitness compared to someone else.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Due to do some outdoor low cadence strength endurance work today but it’s raining. I might swap to a VO2 max session on turbo, that is currently scheduled for tomorrow. It’s a taper week, and I only need 32 mins for the VO2 work.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
The core for me seems to be endurance. I think this applies to most of us unless you are training for very short events. For instance I’d imagine the fitness and training required to do well in Zwift races or time trials up to 25 miles, is different to that required to do well for much longer durations.

I’m sure we’ve all seen big improvements in fitness and average speeds over outings lasting many hours, when your FTP hasn’t shifted all that much. Reflecting that FTP just represents one measurement point, and by itself does not represent all aspects of your fitness compared to someone else.

That is true to a degree. But I think I’d argue there is quite a lot of cross over between the two.

And if you can work on pushing your FTP up, you will see benefits in endurance events. A good example would be over longer climbs, especially at high altitude.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Here is the text from my Coach regarding tomorrow..

As discussed do an hour before the race and towards the end of the hour really start to push on up to around 260w for 5-10 minutes , to really work your heart rate and lungs.

Then race hard - try to dictate what happens rather then waiting for it to happen.

Pick your moment and attack the group from rear or mid pack to get a gap and see if others come with you.

Attack fairly early on - maybe after the first 20 mins of skirmishes.

Just make it hard .....

Could be fun :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Here is the text from my Coach regarding tomorrow..

As discussed do an hour before the race and towards the end of the hour really start to push on up to around 260w for 5-10 minutes , to really work your heart rate and lungs.

Then race hard - try to dictate what happens rather then waiting for it to happen.

Pick your moment and attack the group from rear or mid pack to get a gap and see if others come with you.

Attack fairly early on - maybe after the first 20 mins of skirmishes.

Just make it hard .....

Could be fun :smile:

What’s the event?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
And if you can work on pushing your FTP up

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. FTP is likely a good proxy for how well someone will do in a Zwift race or time trial. But does not work as a good proxy for how someone will do in an event lasting several hours or days. For the latter you need a much more developed all round fitness to do well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tiddly wink's

No seriously Martin does road racing/crit type events

Those crazy ones round town centres that I sometimes see, multiple laps, and wonder why there aren’t more crashes? The ones that last about 40 mins to an hour, with constant surges and attacks?

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Perhaps I wasn’t clear. FTP is likely a good proxy for how well someone will do in a Zwift race or time trial. But does not work as a good proxy for how someone will do in an event lasting several hours or days. For the latter you need a much more developed all round fitness to do well.

Yes, your two posts make different statements.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Those crazy ones round town centres that I sometimes see, multiple laps, and wonder why there aren’t more crashes? The ones that last about 40 mins to an hour, with constant surges and attacks?

I haven't ried a Town Centre Crit even though my club (Warwick Lanterne Rouge CC) put one one.

I do however race some crits but on circuits - they are typically an hour + 5 laps or similar. I don't really have the sprint for these - but I did fortuitously come 2nd in the British Cycling National Masters Circuit Race Championships in 2021. Three of us snook off the front and stayed away until the end :smile:

Skipped my session tonight after burning out my legs trying to catch a train to get back in time to go for a drink with a friend, lol he cancelled. I think it was a decent workout though and I suspect anything more would be un productive. I prefer the HR% as oppose to intervals HR zones, the 38mins sure felt harder than Z1/2 :laugh:

1687299915887.png

Took my workout on the roads tonight a 30/30s session it had been gloriously sunny and hot all day but after changing I went back to the living room to grab my sunnies at which point I decided it was wiser to grab the clear reactolights. I thought Id turned away from the clouds and had managed to stay dry but just as I was in the cool down it started to spit. So after the cool down I decided to do more 30/30s to stay dry'ish and warm. I thought I had done that until I took the shoes off and the socks said otherwise. Apart from that I think the workout went well I deliberately spun a bit above the target to account for that indoor out door thing and get my HR/ breathing to touch the VO2max zone. I probably should have done it on the TT bike but I did it on the road bike as I feel more confident with that giving it a 30s blast then 30s freewheel down hill :okay:

1998a2aada85b237bb0345fe262328ffc17d5675_2_690x335.jpg

1687470164764.png

It was just one of my regular training routes. Down Bullock Road to Hammerton, across to Alconbury Weston and then back up the Old A1 to Peterborough. I had stayed dry until the old A1
:joy:

de55f79e202dc22e05dd071c92852fab2bf042b8.jpg

Actually I like Garmin’s power map better
:wink:

979376ab97162efac53350c0f90fd16fcc522d83.jpg

Oh and as I often do I stopped at Orton Mere when finished for a few photos.

501eb897b449886fb0a06aec1cb28d94ec74d998.jpg

0ccb1f64d6818662aee620bee78917c16f1b2762.jpg

Top Bottom