Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Down the cycle path to Yaxley to let the rush hour traffic clear then I started my warm up for a 3x15 SS session with 6 min recoveries, down Holme Road and on the Old A1 with a few rbt turns to stay close to home. I think I played it too safe in a string wind rather than focusing on getting the power out, and the first two intervals in particular were more like tempo. The 3rd interval is a little longer than 15minutes, but it finished at the bottom of a local hill sprint so I carried on.

A recovery week for me (albeit my club TT is tomorrow) but I fancied a group ride. Lol, it bucketed this afternoon and only me another person turned up for what turned out to be an almost perfect evening. Home to Yaxley to Farcet to Pondersbridge to Ramsey St Mary to Holme (where my ride partner left). The official route went up Holme Road to Yaxley but I went out to the old A1 and missed the London Road Yaxley junction out and home. I strayed out of zone to avoid getting soaked at the end when it threatened to turn torrential again but the shower lasted less than a minute.

ima

A recovery week for me (albeit my club TT is tomorrow) but I fancied a group ride. Lol, it bucketed this afternoon and only me another person turned up for what turned out to be an almost perfect evening. Home to Yaxley to Farcet to Pondersbridge to Ramsey St Mary to Holme (where my ride partner left). The official route went up Holme Road to Yaxley but I went out to the old A1 and missed the London Road Yaxley junction out and home. I strayed out of zone to avoid getting soaked at the end when it threatened to turn torrential again but the shower lasted less than a minute.

View attachment 731022
ima

It was the ideal build up for the TT, I PB'd it by 9s tonight :becool:

ohc=rsElY_wEGrYQ7kNvgH5dbVU&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

1715894480483.png

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
โ€ฆand because Mrs Legs is away for the weekend, after the boys had gone to bed I did another medium-length workout. I couldnโ€™t face a flat Z2 effort so I chose this one. My โ€œfitnessโ€ on intervals.icu is back up to 29, having dropped below 20 last month. That may not sound much, but I donโ€™t often get above mid-30s.

Attachments

• 8E281505-E8E9-40B8-A375-D23FE6CB555D.jpeg
    8E281505-E8E9-40B8-A375-D23FE6CB555D.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3
First WO in a couple of weeks; 2 weeks ago I had a bad reaction to the new CT scan dye and rested, and last week was a recovery week and I rode outdoors. Given that as expected the plan adapted down to a low level VO2 max session, Sleeping Beauty -4 (PL=1.5 for TR users info). On Sunday it was great weather so I popped a ton (easy round here itโ€™s pretty flat) so it made Monday yellow (easy day). But going for a 3mile walk on Monday made today yellow too and the plan wanted to adapt down again to Recess -1 (a level 1, 30min recovery ride). Given the VO2 max wo was low level one though I rejected the adaptation and stuck with Sleeping Beauty -4. I didnโ€™t quite push into the VO2 max oxygen zone and could have done with another interval or two to push into it, so I think I did the right thing rejecting the recovery ride.

Last week as expected with last Holiday Monday being an extra cycling day (instead of a rest day) my Trainer Road plan adapted down and I just substituted my Tuesday commute for the resultant recovery workout. With no VO2max workout todays workout was labelled a 'Stretch', Gendarme -2 (2 Blocks of 15no 30/30s @125%). I expected it to adapt down to something labelled 'Productive' but it never, so I had a go. I think the first block went OK but I should have ignored the instructions for the 2nd block to mix up (stand up, low cadence etc). I think they were mostly power efforts and never pushed into the VO2max oxygen zone much until the last interval when I returned to a high cadence effort

1717539047959.png

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Photo Winner
Iโ€™m still mixing in the workouts with my commute to work. I have set myself a target of biking more journeys to work than driving. Itโ€™s a 17 mile door to door commute each way. Public transport is an option but not ideal (1.5 mile walk on one side and 2.5 mile walk the other) which Iโ€™ve done a couple of times. Over winter/spring the car was in the lead due to the more inclement weather but Iโ€™m catching up with the biking to work and will want to have a good number of cycles to work to my advantage come November. Stats below year to date. My biggest issue at the minute is lack of clothes at work ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚ and bike parking when I have offsite meetings is a challenge as some meeting places their bike parking is woeful and I donโ€™t trust public parking (my bike looks nice even if it is old and rattly)

2024 ๐˜Š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ ๐˜›๐˜‹

๐Ÿšฒ 70 journeys

๐Ÿš™ 84 journeys

๐ŸšŒ 4 journeys

๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ’ฐยฃ196 โ›ฝ๏ธ diesel saved

๐Ÿงฏ๐Ÿ’จ๐Ÿ›ขโ›ฝ๐Ÿซ•๐Ÿ”ฅ 427kg CO2 โคต๏ธ

๐Ÿ’ฆ 5 soakings

Iโ€™m still mixing in the workouts with my commute to work. I have set myself a target of biking more journeys to work than driving. Itโ€™s a 17 mile door to door commute each way. Public transport is an option but not ideal (1.5 mile walk on one side and 2.5 mile walk the other) which Iโ€™ve done a couple of times. Over winter/spring the car was in the lead due to the more inclement weather but Iโ€™m catching up with the biking to work and will want to have a good number of cycles to work to my advantage come November. Stats below year to date. My biggest issue at the minute is lack of clothes at work ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚ and bike parking when I have offsite meetings is a challenge as some meeting places their bike parking is woeful and I donโ€™t trust public parking (my bike looks nice even if it is old and rattly)

2024 ๐˜Š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ ๐˜›๐˜‹

๐Ÿšฒ 70 journeys

๐Ÿš™ 84 journeys

๐ŸšŒ 4 journeys

๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ’ฐยฃ196 โ›ฝ๏ธ diesel saved

๐Ÿงฏ๐Ÿ’จ๐Ÿ›ขโ›ฝ๐Ÿซ•๐Ÿ”ฅ 427kg CO2 โคต๏ธ

๐Ÿ’ฆ 5 soakings

I used to do workouts on my commute to our old office but the roads to the new office aren't suitable for workouts. I could do it entirely by train (apart from the short ride to the station) but I get off the train a few stops early and get a cycle in. But its almost a threshold burst from the start on a fast and busy road. Then through a so called Garden City either by totally congested on road routes or bumpy and irregular cycle paths and cut through. Followed by rat run full rural lanes to near my office town. Then another threshold burst into the town, a dodge through more congestion and then irregular cycle paths that give way to traffic too much :-/

A recovery commute for me today after yesterday Threshold super Threshold workout, aka the club TT on way to a 16s PB. I was aided by having a good but catchable minute man to chase. You can see when I caught him and was zone 6 for 65s with a 17s Z7 effort in there as I actually caught him, and not wanting to let him re-overtake I was motivated to keep it at threshold to the end ๐Ÿ‘

1717793944253.png

A win for non aero as I wore my 2nd hand skin suit that to long in the sleeves, I forgot my overshoes and I forgot to flip my visor too. #Nonmarginal :laugh:

b4QCrHQ7shH4b-RROWz1bjN0VNd0ycA3p9FnGpVI-2048x1331.jpg

Hopefully I still have something left in my legs for tomorrow.

I mostly stuck to the plan (a Z1/2 ride) and guided the local cycling group round. The first bit was extremely low paced perfect for what would be a recovery ride for me but the rider who I was keeping the pace down for (around 14mph) had a problem and decided to go home. The strongest of the remaining riders wanted to go at 20mph until he hit the headwind. The headwind had me touching into Z2 and I had wanted to stay Z1. Lol, then came the break from plan one of the riders sprinted up the finish hill on his ebike so I dropped gears, upped the cadence and overtook. I apparently got season power pbs. When his motor cut out I returned to plan
:joy:

1718224682218.png

Top Bottom