Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Yeah if I’m realistic I will do well to hold FTP for 35 minutes saying as it’s a slog getting over Femenia / Batalla to get to the foot of sa Calobra.

Yesterdays workout was a new one for me - 4x5mins at FTP but with a v.low cadence of 60rpm. I’m normally a bit of a spinner on the higher power efforts so this was a testing workout with short recovery in between.

Today I had another work out planned but I’ve knocked it on the head as I’m feeling tired plus I have a big week ahead.

Those low cadence workouts reall took it out of me but they are supposed to be very effective. I was told to aim for 50RPM.

A proper sweatfest tonight during and after Ritter -4 (45 threshold/ 15 VO2 Max session). I says Threshold/VO2 Max but a lot of the sprints were more like anaerobic and after the first 15min block I had emptied the tank (dipping into the -ve W’ for the sprints at the end). This showed in the next block, when I just about kept it threshold and in the last block when I slipped into high tempo. I still kept the the TT sprints at VO2max/Anaerobic though and totally emptied the tank for the last one, which kept the IF high.

I think I will have to investigate a fourth fan
:joy:

Yet another train strike today so I didn’t commute ( I could have got in but services were less frequent and my boss said WfH) so I did my Masters Endurance (Z1/2) Workout at lunchtime. Jeez it was windy and going down the exposed Holme Road was just stupid even though it got me away from traffic. It looks just like its google today except the trees of the left that were leaning to the east are no longer there and if they were there today they’d be leaning further east. I had to stay out 3/4 of the way into the lane to avoid being blown off the road. And there was quite a bit of surging over the target power to keep balance. The met office said it was 25mph steady with 43mph gusts! (Recorded: Edit!) I looped around the near traffic free Connington Airfield Road. The state of the road made me wince at times. I came back on the busier but more sheltered and better surfaced Old A1. Only negative to the Old A1 I either have to be going fast to use the road or follow twisty shared foot/cycle ways which ruins the power profile. Amazingly Garmin reckons I was 72% compliant.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
A wee 400km team event on the weekend. No DOMs and back on bike today after a post event break to visit relatives.. Ride went well and fatigue resistance held up well.

View attachment 726521

Impressive! My ‘fitness’ (on intervals.icu) will have dropped below 20 by the time I get back home from holiday tomorrow. Still, it’s always good for the motivation to see the number increasing…

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
My best racing results and FTP attainment has coincided with the peaks in my intervals.icu fitness score, at least over the three years I’ve been on Zwift. That said, the highest I’ve ever got it was, I think, 45.

My best racing results and FTP attainment has coincided with the peaks in my intervals.icu fitness score, at least over the three years I’ve been on Zwift. That said, the highest I’ve ever got it was, I think, 45.

This was probably my best season but I can't really see any pattern until the season ended and I went on a cycling holiday and then another holiday and rode every day, the increased volume seems to correspond with an increase in the fitness metric.
1712440363473.png

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
This was probably my best season but I can't really see any pattern until the season ended and I went on a cycling holiday and then another holiday and rode every day, the increased volume seems to correspond with an increase in the fitness metric.
View attachment 726796

The fitness metric is just a sum of the average TSS you have accumulated over the previous 42 days.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I’m for Mallorca tomorrow evening for a weeks cycling with some pals. One of my early season goals is to hit Sa Calobra for a PB. My best is 36:43 and I’m going to aim for sub 35. Could be a tall ask but the training has gone well. I’ll also have a crack at a sub-10minute time on the hill out of Pt.Pollensa towards Formentor.

Day 5 into my Mallorca ‘training camp’ with 2 more cycles to go. All good so far. A short summary best viewed via my Strava log:/

IMG_0103.jpeg

Day 2’s 132 miler was my biggest ever spin surpassing a 128 I had done in 2019.

Today was my go at my Sa Calobra PB. I feared the fatigue from the previous 4 days efforts and temperature would get to me. It’s been mid-20’s most days. I hear it’s still a wash out back home. I took the ride out easy, sitting zone 2 most of the way whilst the other lads pushed on up Batalla. I wanted sub-35 on the climb (5.7miles at 7%) with my PB at 36:43. Pleased to report that I did 34:19 making a strong start, fading a little in the 3rd quarter but then finishing strong once I could see that the target was in sight.

My Garmin bike computer is acting up so I’ve no power data uploaded yet, relying on the ride data from my Garmin watch.

Now to find a new target for the rest of the season. 🤔

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Day 5 into my Mallorca ‘training camp’ with 2 more cycles to go. All good so far. A short summary best viewed via my Strava log:/

View attachment 727015
Day 2’s 132 miler was my biggest ever spin surpassing a 128 I had done in 2019.

Today was my go at my Sa Calobra PB. I feared the fatigue from the previous 4 days efforts and temperature would get to me. It’s been mid-20’s most days. I hear it’s still a wash out back home. I took the ride out easy, sitting zone 2 most of the way whilst the other lads pushed on up Batalla. I wanted sub-35 on the climb (5.7miles at 7%) with my PB at 36:43. Pleased to report that I did 34:19 making a strong start, fading a little in the 3rd quarter but then finishing strong once I could see that the target was in sight.

My Garmin bike computer is acting up so I’ve no power data uploaded yet, relying on the ride data from my Garmin watch.

Now to find a new target for the rest of the season. 🤔

Sounds like this "Camp" has been a big success.... and good fun. Nice.

Congrats on the Sa Calobra PB and longest ride :okay:

I had quite a hard 3 up paceline yesterday and part of me when I was asked wanted to see what RLGL (TrainerRoad's adaptive training function) would do and I went a wee bit harder (an IF of 0.80 for the 2hours including the 20mins solo either side). I originally had a 0.9IF SS session but it adapted to Harrah (an endurance workout with an IF of 0.65). Although I deliberately kept my front door shut and only used two fans so my hr drifted into tempo.

image720×282 40 KB

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I had the club "BASH" ride last night. The best way to describe it is like a Breakaway in a race - you work together to maintain speed, but try to drop anyone who can't contribute - and then try and get away / win at the end.

Started with 6 which became 3 pretty quickly. Very fast pace and then youngest put the hammer down with 4 miles to go. Managed to stay with him and then roll him on the final slightly downhill sprint. Great race training for me.

Top Bottom