Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 45min minute workout tonight was again labelled a ‘Stretch’ and there was no 45 minutes ‘Productive’ session in Trainer Roads ‘Alternates’, so I switched up to a 60 mins workout to get a 'Productive' one that gave me Lola (basically a 30min threshold block). I think I paced it too conservatively and there was still something left in the tank as indicated by W’ which only got down to 2.4 (I should have been close to 0 at the end). that wasn’t helped by realising at the start of the 30mins I had left the heating on, which shows:

I set up the TT bike for the first time this year it felt a lot better/consistent at cadence in a TT position. RLGL also adapted the workout down slightly after my commute to Frissell-3 (3x9mins @ 95%FTP) which probably made it feel better too,

Last edited:
I entered my first open TT of the year last week but I forgot to add it to my TrainerRoad calendar until yesterday. When I did that adapted tonight’s and Thursday’s workout to ‘Achievable’ ones. Tonight’s was a threshold workout Haekel-4 . It was a low cadence workout something which seems to suit me these day’s perhaps due to the temperature in my front pain hall!

lNYZkEsIa7Trf7Sy55_kK-MHgcKuBdfe5DDDSjSjQ-2048x885.jpg

Got my first 200km of the year Sunday. Should be interesting to see where 2024 fitness is. Feeling good but haven’t been above 100km this year.

How did you get on?

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Back again. The cyclechat forum notification bell thingamy doesnt show new posts after a week or so of not dropping in which is a bit of a pain but hey-ho. Good to see everyone training hard. Tough conditions there Ming for your 200km spin. 386km! Thats just sick!

Ive my week in Mallorca coming in less that 2 weeks. I plan to have a crack at my PB on Sa Calobra. I did a 36:43 back in 2016 so with apologies to my club mates I’m going to have a go again. Based on my fitness now I reckon my older self will be able to bust it and I’ll be aiming to hold 325w for the duration. Today I hit AdZ wanting to go a hard as possible over a time of 35 minutes. Worked out reasonably well but I did crack at the 30 minute mark and had to back off a bit. As I was in a Zwift race I carried on to the top of the Alpe and got a PB of 48:29. I’m no longer a Strava premium subscriber so unfortunately I can’t compare to my other times but I’m feeling the training is going well with slow but steady gains for this time of year.

6CE010DB-5E74-4091-9AE3-359D36E4A0B3.jpeg

Tweed -1 was in my calendar tonight (4x5 @ 102%). The first 3 intervals are slightly weak as I was concentrating on cadence but in the 4th interval I changed the focus to keeping on the power target and hit it.

I run my Garmin in parallel to record the temperature; it was an average of 19.5deg C tonight :sweat:

It also recorded the extra cool down I did

1711053282819.png

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Back again. The cyclechat forum notification bell thingamy doesnt show new posts after a week or so of not dropping in which is a bit of a pain but hey-ho. Good to see everyone training hard. Tough conditions there Ming for your 200km spin. 386km! Thats just sick!

Ive my week in Mallorca coming in less that 2 weeks. I plan to have a crack at my PB on Sa Calobra. I did a 36:43 back in 2016 so with apologies to my club mates I’m going to have a go again. Based on my fitness now I reckon my older self will be able to bust it and I’ll be aiming to hold 325w for the duration. Today I hit AdZ wanting to go a hard as possible over a time of 35 minutes. Worked out reasonably well but I did crack at the 30 minute mark and had to back off a bit. As I was in a Zwift race I carried on to the top of the Alpe and got a PB of 48:29. I’m no longer a Strava premium subscriber so unfortunately I can’t compare to my other times but I’m feeling the training is going well with slow but steady gains for this time of year.

View attachment 725130

Talking about chasing big climb PB's I did Coll de Rates today (Calpe) and took over a minute off my PB from last year, setting my best ever 20 minute power. Pretty pleased with that.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Talking about chasing big climb PB's I did Coll de Rates today (Calpe) and took over a minute off my PB from last year, setting my best ever 20 minute power. Pretty pleased with that.

Nice effort Martin. I didn’t realise you were out there (silly Strava algorithm!). I’ve been out there once and got a Baltic cold week in mid February. Even some flakes of snow on the climb up Coll de Rates. How’s the weather with you (assuming you are still there of course) 😂 did you go out on an organised training camp?

Top Bottom