Cyclist 1 - Wing Mirror 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I had a rather eventful commute this morning...

I was turning left at a traffic-lighted T junction. I'd been waiting, but the chap in the Corsa who hit me needed to race to catch the lights before they switched.

Enthused by his accomplishment, he decided that his next trick would be to pass me so closely that his passenger side wing-mirror caught my Hoy-like thigh.

Unfortunately, the mirror came off rather badly in the encounter. It didn't quite snap off, but it was hanging by some rather delicate looking wires.

It turned out that we would end up turning down the same road! Once he'd realised, he decided to pull over and remonstrate about the damage to his poor vehicle. I offered to gaffer tape the flimsy device back onto his badly built car.

This was not an appropriate solution, apparently, so I decided to ask if he wanted to involve the police instead.

He did not.

At this point, he went rather quiet and got back into his car, then drove rather sheepishly away, taking great care to look in his rear-view mirror.

In conclusion, I've got a rather sore leg, but I hope that the driver has learned the error of his ways.

I appreciate that this could have ended a lot differently, but I'll take a bruise for a knackered mirror and a driver realising he's been a nobber!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
So he drove into you and then blamed you for the damage? Awesomes. Good job you didnt flex your leg guns or you might have dented the door too :-)

MisterStan

Label Required
Isnt this classed as a collision? Did you note down the drivers reg?

I'd had reported it anyway; just in case. The fact he didnt want to involve the police would start the alarm bells ringing. Maybe uninsured. Maybe not licenced. Who knows.
I too would have reported this - you were injured, albeit not badly from what you say.

Enjoyed reading that, I thought it was going to be the typical revenge attack by the cyclist for a close pass and delighted it wasn't; I hope the leg isn't too bad and well done :thumbsup:

I also thought the same!
Hope the leg recovers swiftly.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO

@akb - I think that the reason for him not wanting to involve the police is that he realised any argument with them would involve some kind of fine or driving awareness course. As our conversation progressed, it was clear he recognised that he was in the wrong and by the time he'd stopped going on about his car, he was apologetic, which is enough for me. I hope that with my generally good humoured chat and his realisation that he will be more mindful in future.

@ColinJ - That's a genuinely horrifying story. I've encountered a fair few clownshoes on the road, but never one as awful as that. I hope the driver gets done, if he hasn't already.

Reactions: akb

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I don't think the police would have turned up anyway as there was no injury, but the fact that the lad refused point blank is suspicious nonetheless. Maybe no insurance or MOT?

jarlrmai

Veteran
he hit you, report it if you have the reg even if it's just for the sake of the next cyclist he hits, they may not have Hoy like thighs able to repel all wing mirrors with ease.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO

I don't have the reg number. Our conversation ended with his apology and a promise that he'd be more careful around cyclists, which seems fair enough to me.

I'm not sure that any police involvement would necessarily be positive, nor am I sure what it would achieve. The way I see it, in situations like this, it's better to discuss the issue and resolve it at the time*, rather than threatening to involve the police. Parting as a driver and cyclist on good terms as fellow road users, for me, is better than parting thinking "That driver's a d!ck" or "That cyclist is a nobber".

*Granted, this isn't always an option, but it was in this case as there was no serious injury or damage. That said, if my leg turns black and drops off in the night I'll be seriously annoyed about it.

Top Bottom