Cyclist, 17, dies after hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
[QUOTE 5438066, member: 9609"]from wiki link
Most serious culpability – seven to fourteen years' imprisonment (previous starting point of 6 years).
think the record sentence is 10 years, so they would be out in 5, or less[/QUOTE]

No. As I explained above lifers don't get parole at half sentence. They have to serve the full tariff first. Even then, for most part, it would be unusual for Parole Board to allow their immediate release as there are further criteria to be met. That was part of issue with Warboys case.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The most likely charge is one of the death by driving charges.

Neither carry life imprisonment, so that's not on the table here.

Maximum for death by careless driving is six months if tried by magistrates, or five years at the crown court.

Maximum for death by dangerous driving is 14 years.

Few offenders get the maximum for anything.

This driver will be given a determinate sentence of which he would routinely serve half.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
[QUOTE 5438294, member: 9609"]i didn't think warboys had been running people over whilst drunk ?

as I quoted before
from wiki link
Most serious culpability – seven to fourteen years' imprisonment (previous starting point of 6 years).
think the record sentence is 10 years, so they would be out in 5, or less[/QUOTE]

We're getting confused here. If it's life with a tariff of 14 years then 14 years has to be served before Parole gets a look in. If it's a determinate sentence of 14 years then, provided he's a good boy while in jail, he'll be out at half time.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
We're getting confused here. If it's life with a tariff of 14 years then 14 years has to be served before Parole gets a look in. If it's a determinate sentence of 14 years then, provided he's a good boy while in jail, he'll be out at half time.

IMO it should be "provided he's a good boy while in jail, he'll be out at 14 years". If he isn't a good boy in jail, time gets added on.

Harumph, mutter mutter.

It's sad to say that it will keep happening as long as no one fears being caught.
The non committal language of these reports just makes it more tragic, especially in the same week firing rockets at cyclists is praised by some.

Or is it more there is no fear of the potential sentence for such a crime? I've no idea what this kind of behaviour would attract as a punishment.

It isn't possible to imagine what parents and friends must be going through at the moment at such a tragedy happening in the circumstances described - getting behind the wheel having had too much. It could hardly be described as an 'accident'.

It is widely recognised that the fear/increased perceived probability of being caught is a far greater deterrent than the severity of the punishment.

What's wrong with those people ?
The fact that they are still breathing.

It isn't possible to imagine what parents and friends must be going through at the moment at such a tragedy happening in the circumstances described - getting behind the wheel having had too much. It could hardly be described as an 'accident'.
I would not describe that as an accident but premeditated murder. If you drive a car in that state it is a murder weapon. That some people are lucky and get home while driving drunk doesn't really change the offense.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Careless and dangerous driving or so poorly defined and the CPS so worried they will not get a conviction for dangerous that dangerous is rarely the charge even though by any reasonable measure the driving was dangerous.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
The fact that they are still breathing.

I would not describe that as an accident but premeditated murder. If you drive a car in that state it is a murder weapon. That some people are lucky and get home while driving drunk doesn't really change the offense.

The other worrying thing is many are not drunk when driving but happy to drive after the night before or that 1 or 2 bottle's of wine in the evening after work. But never the less are over the limit only being found out because the break light did not work.

classic33

Leg End Member
The other worrying thing is many are not drunk when driving but happy to drive after the night before or that 1 or 2 bottle's of wine in the evening after work. But never the less are over the limit only being found out because the break light did not work.
I know one who'll be over the limit in nine hours time, when he passes the local central police station. Police aren't even interested in trying to stop him.

He got stopped once, he'd be out of work as he needs to be able to drive for the work he does.

I know one who'll be over the limit in nine hours time, when he passes the local central police station. Police aren't even interested in trying to stop him.

He got stopped once, he'd be out of work as he needs to be able to drive for the work he does.
Are those officers going to tell that the the i believe 20 wounded in London tonight? Because of a DUI busdriver?

Top Bottom