Cyclist abruptly and flew into a violent rage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
NOT ME, COPIED FROM FACEBOOK

Earlier yesterday morning I was driving on Beach Road towards Cape Town, just past the Pavilion. There are two lanes and I was in the right hand lane. I found myself approaching a bunch of about twenty cyclists, probably practicing for the Argus Cycle Tour. They were in the left lane, but many were riding abreast so some were even encroaching into the right hand lane, past the center line. Aware o...f the new 1.5 meter rule, I slowed to give them space and was unwilling to overtake. Further ahead was a stationary vehicle that was double parked but it went unnoticed by the leader of the group who was looking back and communicating to the rest of the team. The group were moving swiftly and only at the last second when the leader again faced forwards, did he see the vehicle…. Just in the nick of time. He had to swerve to avoid the vehicle and this obviously upset him. He stopped his bicycle abruptly and flew into a violent rage. The entire peleton pulled up in support and some followed his lead. I fumbled with my phone for valuable seconds and eventually got the camera going, and filmed the violence unfolding before me. You can clearly see how they battered the vehicle, bent the windscreen wipers, pepper sprayed the driver, tried to steal his keys, assaulted him with a bicycle wheel and punched him and the passenger in the face repeatedly. There was a lot more going down than what you can see in the video.

I drove away as the vehicles further behind me grew impatient but a few hundred meters further I decided to do the right thing and return to assist the driver and his passenger. By the time I got there, the cyclists had left (I passed them) and the Van was nowhere to be seen. I stopped at my friend Dave D’Aguiar, and shared the video. Dave was equally disturbed by the video and took it to Sea Point Police Station himself about two hours later. He inquired at the charge office if anyone had laid a charge against cyclists for road rage and, as coincidence would have it, the victims were themselves in the police station doing exactly that! As it turns out, they were volunteer workers cleaning up the hydration bags and other litter after the finish of the 10KM Sunshine D, Nelson Mandela Commemorative Walk.

If you would like to be instrumental in bringing these hooligans to justice then please SHARE this post now. Like minded citizens may recognize some of the perpetrators and the clubs they ride for. If you recognize any of the cyclists in the video then either ‘name and shame’ or call the investigating officer directly, Warrant Officer Olivier on 021 430 3700.

View: https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10202991800372949

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice bunch !:eek:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A double parked vehicle caused that? I suspect there's a lot more to it than that which the person writing/ filming is not sharing. And he's got awful taste in radio stations as well.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
They can hardly say its self defence when he’s sat in the van and they assault him, yes you don't know whether they assault in retaliation to something before.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Can't really believe the version above, the reaction to whatever happened seems rather extreme to say the least, but the double parked thing doesn't ring true to me. Unless the whole group were looking back then surely somebody else would have called out.

The trouble with stuff like this is that this evidence will be pretty much worthless without at least 2 minutes before hand to see the circumstances. I am not doubting what you say but any court will.
I'm not so sure. There's literally no lawful excuse I can think of to justify the actions shown on cam.

There's plenty of reasons I can think of that may explain them, but lawfully excuse them? I don't think it matters what happened previously...

I'm not so sure. There's literally no lawful excuse I can think of to justify the actions shown on cam.

There's plenty of reasons I can think of that may explain them, but lawfully excuse them? I don't think it matters what happened previously...
Ran someone over and drive off? Cyclists caught up and he signalled he would drive off again? Im aware of your profession so know you know much more about this than me!

sazzaa

Looks to me like the driver was a known paedo or rapist! That's some reaction for a driving offence...

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

Completely agree. Absolutely no reason for "vigilante justice". If he had knocked someone down, surely their time would be better spent looking after the injured party?

Top Bottom