cyclist and roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriss2.0

hi guys and galls, me again.:hello:

i got a complaint about how i approach a roundabout.

am i doing it right?

first i am cycling on the far left (as normal) and i want to get to the inside lane, and i need to do it before i actually reach the stop point for the roundabout.

so i watch the drivers pass me, and if i see a gap i indicate, then cross into traffic.
then to get into the inside lane, i do the same.
wait for a gap, indicate and cross.

however because im slower than the traffic a driver thinks i am "cutting in". i have tryd pulling to the inside far before the separation of the traffic. but i always get drivers dangerously, overtake and then often stop dead in front of me. :B)

so my question is this.

how should a cyclist (me) approach a busy roundabout ?:wacko:

Last edited:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Approach with a lot of confidence and some caution. Use a speed that's right for the traffic conditions and signal, always signal, on both approach and when leaving the roundabout. Look around, a lot. Yes you may encounter drivers pulling in on you but if you're prepared for it you will be fine.

buggi

Bird Saviour
You should be giving yourself enough time to look over your shoulder, ascertain a gap, signal for 3 seconds, and then return your hands to the handlebars, checking again before changing lane and moving into the traffic. Therefore, yes, you may need a good amount of time and space to do this before you get to the roundabout. There will always be a driver that thinks you are cutting in. Don't worry about it. If he's pissed off, at least he can't say "sorry mate i didn't see you". Ride confidently, claim your space and don't be intimidated. You have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

For the record, and for everyone's info, the default position when you're not sure whether to be in primary or secondary is ... primary. So don't ever feel apologetic for taking it. (that's National Standards Training standards)

buggi

Bird Saviour
ps it's not always necessary to indicate to move into primary position either (if not changing lanes). Turning your head is an indication to the driver that you are going to move out and, as it's much safer to keep your hands on the handlebars, indicate when moving into primary position only if it is necessary. If you are indicating to do this, it would suggest to me the traffic is ignoring your intention, in which case turn your hand towards them as if "commanding" which will encourage them to let you in (with a thumbs up when they slow down).

Indicate to change lanes, and left or right turns.
Remember, as the default position is primary, you are riding in secondary for their convenience. This is one lane, and they are already behind you. you're not cutting in, you're just reclaiming your position.

Simmer

For me it depends what is coming up behind me... as I'm approaching I'll check my shoulder. If the vehicle behind slows I'll indicate then take center of the lane I want. If they don't slow down or they look/drive like a muppet, I'll stop at the side and wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

thanks, i try to be as conscientious as possible in regards to drivers. i am confident on the roads, i just think to much of what other drivers are thinking of me. and when i get a complaint i find myself over thinking about it

snorri

Legendary Member
@chriss2.0 approach a rbt like you would in a small car.
....perhaps the OP has never driven a car:whistle:.

ShipHill

Here's a little incident that I had at an island today.

A 3 exit island. North, South East and South West at roughly 120 degree intervals. I'd post a link but I am like useless and stuff innit.

I approach from the north and I want the south west exit. I check behind me and there's no-one at all in view so I take the right side of the road.

Unfortunately there's a long line of cars coming from the south west wanting the south east exit, so I wait.

A 4x4 appears to my left and at first I think they want the south east exit.

Yes you've guessed it, they want the same exit as me, so when a gap appears we both proceed, go round the island at the same speed (it's downhill which helps me) and get to the south west exit at the same time. I stick my left arm out and wave them back so I can get in over to the left once we're on the south west road, and they concede and I pass in front of them.

Further on, and nothing to do with this nonsense, I'm now on the nice wide Worcester Road and a car hovers behind me and will not overtake despite there being loads of room. The A38 there is lovely and wide, cars can easily overtake leaving yards of room and still not cross the white line. I actually stopped pedalling and once my speed dropped to about 15mph they crawled past looking petrified.

I think a lot of these clowns get their licences from Corn Flake packets.

sreten

Hi,

Lane changing on a bike is slower than cars and going round a roundabout using
the line than cars would just means your in the way most of the time as you
cross lanes. So you have a choice : Bimble around the outside or head for
the middle and then go for the outside on your turn off. But you get in the
way of drivers changing lanes at their speed in the middle. Going for
your turnoff across a lane is as suicidal as crossing a turn off.

I don't think as a driver you have thought it all through.

It is just simplest and safest to go round the outside. I indicate my turn off, which allows
clean passing, but you always get some idiots who presume your turning off the same
turn as them, contrary to any indication and your road position, or more to the point
sometimes think they will pass you before where you are going matters at all,
they are the worst for for stupid close shaves, the very stupid.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
some good advice here...use common sense and judgement....fwiw i dont see anything wrong with what your doing

ShipHill

[QUOTE 2698717, member: 9609"]We are may be not thinking of the same sort of RAB, I had in mind something not that big, and for that I still think the tactic of taking the same line as car is the best. if we're talking about large dual lane roundabouts that service dual carriageways, then I don't think these are suitable at all for cyclists and i wouldn't go onto one, cars go too fast and lorries don't seem to give a bugger.

I still think cyclists sticking to the very outside and crossing the exits is total madness, yes we may be in our right to do this, but most other road users don't know that.[/quote]

I agree with this. i once saw a cyclist who was crossing the exits get hit by a vehicle who thought they were taking an exit. Luckily the cyclist wasn't seriously hurt. If I came to a big and busy island, I must confess I'd get off and walk the bike round.

Top Bottom